Dawson Creek forum on highway speeds set for January 8

first_imgIn addition to written feedback, open houses are being held across the province, including in Dawson Creek on January 8, 2014 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Best Western. Along with highway speeds, the review is also looking at reducing the risk of wildlife-related crashes, how slower vehicles can travel more safely, and the use of winter tires. Feedback can be provided online, as well as during a Twitter town hall on December 17 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. using the hashtag #BCSpeedReview.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Catalytic cataclysm

first_imgIn the spring, 18 catalytic converters were removed from Toyota Tundra and Tacoma trucks during a two-month period at a Toyota storage lot in Torrance, newspaper reports said. There have been similar reports in Long Beach, Valencia and El Segundo. Nationally, thefts have been reported in Michigan, Boston, Ohio, and in Canada, where police in Toronto have estimated $1 million worth of converters were stolen from an auto parts store in March. The converter for Avila’s 1995 Toyota 4-Runner was stolen from in front of her home in the 8100 block of Bright Avenue sometime between 8:30 p.m. Wednesday and 7:50 a.m. Thursday when she tried to take her son, Daniel, 13, to school. When she started her vehicle, “It sounded like a dragster,” she said. “It was an ugly sound.” WHITTIER – Andrea Avila found herself Thursday morning a victim of a crime that has been growing throughout North America. Thieves, according to local law enforcement and those in the auto repair industry, are stripping vehicles of their catalytic converters. “They are being targeted for their precious metals,” said Whittier police spokeswoman Officer Diana Salazar. The platinum, palladium and rhodium used in the converter can be sold for thousands of dollars an ounce, police officials said. As a driver from Hadley Tow prepared to take her dark green truck to her mechanic, Avila became emotional. “I was keeping it together all morning, but when I saw him putting up my baby, tears came out,” she said. The catalytic converter, explained tow driver Tony Enriquez, is part of the exhaust system and cleans the emissions that come from your car. It is a chemical filter designed to react with exhaust fumes to reduce air pollution. “I have seen this happen a lot,” he said. Enriquez, 42, said people could be stealing them because, without a good one, a car can’t pass a smog check. And a car won’t run without it, he added. Avila, 32, said after turning off her truck, she inspected the area and found some metal rings and nuts and bolts under the 4-Runner. When she called the police, the dispatcher told her exactly what had been stolen. “I didn’t know what was missing, but he knew,” Avila said. Salazar said the department is aware of several similar incidents and most have occurred in the last year. “It’s a new issue that we’ve come across,” she said. The department does not have any statistics on this type of crime. Salazar said investigators have surmised that Toyotas may be targeted because converters on the trucks are easily accessible, exposed underneath the frame, as opposed to being underneath the hood. Auto Zone part manager Richard Cabrera said a customer came in last week saying her converter was stolen, but sales of the item has not substantially risen. “I’ve sold one in the past month,” he said. Prices vary depending on the make and year of the vehicle, he added, and average from $80 to $130. Avila, a single parent on a fixed income who works for the County of Norwalk, said she will have to juggle her finances to pay the bill. “I try to keep up maintenance on my truck with every paycheck,” she said. “And now something like this happens. “I want the word to get out so no one else goes through what I have today.” Avila is having the converter welded instead of bolted to the truck to prevent another theft from happening. sandra.molina@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Jessica’s Flaw

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECoach Doc Rivers a “fan” from way back of Jazz’s Jordan ClarksonYet even with Jessica’s Law on the books, State Corrections Secretary James Tilton told Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Sex Offender Management Board in October that his department was removing GPS devices from 500 ex-convicts who had completed parole – regardless of the lifetime monitoring requirement. And 160 more ex-parolees have been freed from monitoring since then. Not only are the whereabouts of these offenders unknown, but the state’s ability to enforce Jessica’s Law’s residency requirements is severely undercut. The reason, according to the governor’s board, is that Proposition 83 was too vague about certain key details. First among them: Which authorities – state or local – would be responsible for monitoring the offenders? And, by extension, who’s responsible for paying the $7 to $33 a day it takes to keep tabs on each one? The board says it’s trying to come up with an answer to those questions. Meanwhile, offenders who complete their parole can carry on as they have before. Apparently the politicians who wrote Jessica’s Law – state Sen. George Runner and his wife, Assemblywoman Sharon Runner, both R-Lancaster, did a great job coming up with tough-sounding promises, and a less impressive job of codifying them into law. There are, as of last count, about 660 convicted sex offenders wandering free around California, not wearing the monitoring devices that Jessica’s Law requires. And state officials say there’s nothing they can do about it. That ought to come as a shock to California voters, who overwhelmingly approved Jessica’s Law at the polls last year – under the promise that the state would finally get tough on child predators. Turns out we were had, again. Proposition 83, its proponents told us, would stiffen penalties for sex offenders. It would prohibit released sex criminals from living within 2,000 feet of a school or park. And it would require them to wear satellite tracking devices for the rest of their lives. And countless other state politicians – from the governor and the attorney general all the way down – happily backed the measure because it was “tough on crime,” even though it was light on details. Voters don’t read the fine print or the legal mumbo-jumbo on ballot initiatives, nor should they be expected to. It’s reasonable to expect that a measure does what it’s designed to do, and that the politicians, their lawyers and their staffers will take care of the logistical questions. In this case, the voters did their job, but the politicians have not. And the result, as usual, is a “reform” that’s a far cry from what the politicians advertised.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

BASKETBALL – BLAZE GIRLS PIPPED BUT BOYS VICTORIOUS IN ULSTER FINAL

first_imgThe Blaze U13 girls team.There were mixed fortunes for Blaze Basketball club in the Ulster finals in Belfast today.Blaze Under 13 girls basketball team from Letterkenny were pipped in the final of the Ulster Final today.The girls had no luck and eventually went down to Monaghan Steelers on a scoreline of 39 to 24. The Under 18 Blaze boys had more luck and were crowned Ulster champions after overcoming Belfast Stars/Queens in their final.BASKETBALL – BLAZE GIRLS PIPPED BUT BOYS VICTORIOUS IN ULSTER FINAL was last modified: March 23rd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Blaze Basketball ClubUlster Finalslast_img read more

Manchester United fans tear into Marcos Rojo for tackle on Mbappe

first_img 1 Perfect example of why Rojo should be sold. Stupid decision to foul him but it was outside the box— The United Stand (@UnitedStandMUFC) June 30, 2018 France got their penalty after Mbappe was upended by Rojo How bad is Rojo ? #WorldCup— Martin (@MartyMUFC1) June 30, 2018 Imagine having jones, smalling and rojo as your central defenders #FRAARG #mufc— Alan Smith (@alansmith1955) June 30, 2018 I’ll be astonished if Rojo manages to see out this half. A red card waiting to happen.— Dan (@mufc_dan87) June 30, 2018 That run from Mbappe was something else. But that was horrendous from Rojo. Can be so reckless at times.— The Peoples Person (@PeoplesPerson_) June 30, 2018 Oh dear Rojo— Fiona May (@fionamay4471) June 30, 2018 See Phil Jones has being teaching Rojo some of his tricks.— Minuru Sazuki (@PaddyWhittaker1) June 30, 2018 ROJO – “I want France to win the World Cup, for my friend Pogba. We’re very close friends.” #mufc pic.twitter.com/Lby9VkDZL6— Tanmay.G (@tanmaygupta21) June 30, 2018 Rojo is a calamity of a footballer #mufc #FRAARG— Alan Smith (@alansmith1955) June 30, 2018 France were awarded the penalty and Antoine Griezmann slotted the ball home to give them a 13th-minute lead.Although it was a purposeful run from Mbappe, the ball looked to be heading out of play before he was fouled by the Manchester United defender, suggesting the tackle may not have been entirely necessary.And many across Twitter, including some United supporters, launched scathing attacks on the defender for his cynical challenge on Mbappe.Below you can see some of the best tweets criticising Rojo. It’s been an electric start to the first knockout game at the 2018 World Cup as two of the tournament’s heavyweights France and Argentina lock horns for a place in the quarter-finals.Les Bleus started the game more positively and the referee had a huge decision to make after Marcos Rojo felled Kylian Mbappe in the box after a brilliant lung-busting run from the gifted teenager. Rojo gives me headaches. When he’s in defense for #MUFC I am always worried— Odd Tactics (@OddTactics) June 30, 2018 talkSPORT will be with listeners all day and all night at this year’s 2018 FIFA World Cup™ with over 800 hours of World Cup content and all 64 games live across the talkSPORT network.last_img read more

Martinez suggests the time is right for Hazard to seek a new challenge

first_img Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade Chelsea latest shining Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Eden Hazard captained Belgium to their best ever World Cup finish How Chelsea could line up against Southampton – what system will Lampard play? tense Hazard slots the ball past Jordan Pickford to make it 2-0 in the third place play-off smart causal possible xi possible standings Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT silverware REAL DEAL REVEALED How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures REVEALED England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Belgium manager Roberto Martinez believes the time is right for Chelsea and Eden Hazard to part ways.Hazard captained Belgium to third place at the World Cup and scored three goals along the way. He has been linked with a move to Real Madrid for a while and even said himself he is ready for a new challenge after six years at Stamford Bridge. Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars 2 Real Madrid ‘offer’ Isco to Chelsea in bid to ‘make room’ for Tottenham star gameday cracker Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City And Martinez has echoed these thoughts. “It could be the best time [for Hazard] to try something different,” he told Spanish radio station, Cadena Ser.“Hazard could carry a new project anywhere in the world. He is at the best moment of his career. For me, it’s very easy to answer that question.”He could fit in any team in the world. Players need new challenges and new projects. Perhaps it’s a good time for [Chelsea] and for Eden [to split]. I would be very surprised if Chelsea didn’t have big offers for him right now.” 2last_img read more

LOVE IS IN THE AIR IN COONEY’S HOME AND GARDEN!

first_imgA love-struck parrot’s plan to flee its home backfired on him – when he became lovesick.The parrots are back together again.The red rumped parrot escaped its cage at the newly-opened Cooney’s Home and Garden store in Letterkenny.Staff tried all sorts of tricks to catch the colourful bird including a huge net! But the parrot managed to evade staff roosting in the eves of the store.Shoppers were left looking skywards as the noisy parrot flew overhead in the store.But owner of the store Gary Cooney revealed it was love which eventually brought the parrot back down to earth.“We tried all sorts including some lovely food but nothing would work. The bird was flying all around the shop much to the amusement of shoppers. “We knew we had to catch it and we were afraid it might escape out of the store and we didn’t want that,” he said.A plan was eventually hatched to close the store overnight but to leave the bird’s cage open overnight.Mr Cooney thought his plan had backfired when the female parrot also fled the cage.But love worked in mysterious ways when the pair soon fled back to their cage for a cosy reunion!Mr Cooney added “It proves that males, even male parrots, can’t last very long without their partners. “We’re just delighted they’re back together and we’re going to be more careful in future when opening the cages.”The brand new Cooney’s Home and Garden store in Letterkenny.LOVE IS IN THE AIR IN COONEY’S HOME AND GARDEN! was last modified: November 5th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Cooney’s Home and Garden storeescapedletterkennyparrotlast_img read more

Move on dwelling house exemption abuse welcomed

first_imgSinn Féin Finance spokesperson Pearse Doherty has welcomed indications that the government will move to restrict dwelling house inheritance tax exemption.Deputy Doherty said the exemption was being abused by wealthy people to avoid paying taxes.The move follows Deputy Doherty’s questioning of Department officials in a private brief on the Finance Bill and his questioning of the Minister about the loophole. Deputy Doherty said “Yesterday I submitted an amendment to the Finance Bill to restrict the Dwelling House exemption to genuine circumstances where home sharers inherit a property and I am glad to see a government amendment seeking the same goal has been submitted. The work of the whistle-blower and journalists who have taken an interest in this area must be commended.“This loophole permitted people of high wealth to buy up properties to pass on tax free to their children. My suggested approach which I am glad the government is now supporting is to restrict this exemption to genuine family homes.“I have been raising this issue for some time after a whistle-blower brought it to their attention.“In May I asked the Minister what action he was going to take. I was disappointed by his response which lacked a firm commitment to act. I was also shocked to see how much the potential cost of this loophole could be. “Last year €52m of tax was foregone because of this exemption. While we can’t say for certain what amount of that was as intended by the spirit of the legislation and what amount constituted an abuse, it does point to a potentially very costly loophole that needs to be shut.“I look forward to teasing out the detail of my amendment and the government one next week.”Move on dwelling house exemption abuse welcomed was last modified: November 4th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

49ers Nick Bosa apologizes for Colin Kaepernick ‘clown’ comment

first_imgSANTA CLARA – Nick Bosa’s introductory press conference with the 49ers was more confessional than celebratory Friday, the result of his social-media history that included scrubbing controversial tweets such as one calling former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick “a clown.”Bosa, a defensive end drafted No. 2 overall out of Ohio State, apologized for that tweet about Kaepernick as well as other insensitive posts with racist and homophobic connotations.Will Bosa’s political views become an …last_img read more

Mining deal boost for SA coal output

first_img28 August 2013 South Africa’s Keaton Energy has made an offer to acquire Australian-listed Xceed Resources’ coal projects in Moabsvelden, Roodepoort and Bankfontein in South Africa’s Mpumalanga province for approximately R183-million. The deal is expected to significantly boost Keaton Energy’s annual Eskom-quality coal output, as well as offer the firm the opportunity to enter the export thermal coal market. “The acquisition is consistent with Keaton Energy’s strategy of strengthening its position of becoming a 5Mtpa [million tonnes per annum] producer,” Keaton chief executive officer Mandi Glad said in a statement on Monday. “The Xceed transaction reflects our strong belief in the South African coal industry and the growth of the group bodes well for Keaton’s continued delivery of records across mining, processing, sales and cash generation.” Xceed is an Australian public company primarily involved in the exploration and development of thermal coal projects in South Africa. It will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Keaton Energy and will be unlisted from the Australian Securities Exchange once the deal is concluded and regulatory conditions have been fulfilled. Moabsvelden hosts a 65.3-million tonne thermal coal resource, a 44-million tonne run of mine open pit reserve and an approved mining right. The mine open pit has a 15-year lifespan and produces mostly Eskom coal, with a small fraction for export. It is also only three kilometres from Keaton’s existing Vanggatfontein Colliery. The Roodepoort mine hosts a 29.3-million tonne open-castable coal resource and Bankfontein hosts a 13.7-million tonne predominantly underground coal resource. Keaton’s open-castable coal resource will increase by 100-million tonnes, as well as increase the run of mine coal reserve in the Vanggatfontein Colliery area by about 44-million tonnes. “This is an exciting opportunity to deliver real value to our shareholders through increased Eskom coal production at a time when the industry is abuzz with Eskom’s impending coal supply shortfall,” Glad said. “The transaction also provides Keaton with the opportunity to participate in the export thermal coal market for the first time. We are pleased that our major shareholder is aligned with our vision for the company, supports our growth strategy and advocates the development of the South African coal industry.” SAinfo reporterlast_img read more