The service and viewing of the body ofMugabe, who died last week in Singapore at 95, will be at the National SportsStadium in the capital, Harare, and comes following the announcement by theMugabe family and President Emmerson Mnangagwa that his burial will bepostponed until a new resting place for his body can be constructed at thenational Heroes’ Acre monument. (AP) A man in the stands holds a banner with the face of former president Robert Mugabe, as members of the public queue up to view his body at the Rufaro stadium in the capital Harare, Zimbabwe Friday, Sept. 13, 2019. AP HARARE – African heads of state and envoys are gathering to attend a state funeral for Zimbabwe’s founding president, Robert Mugabe , whose burial has been delayed for at least a month until a special mausoleum can be built for his remains.
Felizares was arrested after he allegedlystole Roberto Acaling’s two game fowls valued at around P70,000 on Sept. 26, itadded. BACOLOD City – Police nabbed a man forstealing game fowls in Barangay Mansilingan. Police recovered stolen fowls from Felizares. The 29-year-old Ryan Felizares of BarangayConcepcion, Talisay City, Negros Occidental was identified as the suspect, apolice report showed. The suspect was detained in the lockup cell ofPolice Station 7./PN
BACOLOD City – Councilor Carlos JoseLopez is pushing for the strict implementation of solid waste management lawsin this city. Last year, the city government allotteda P50-million budget for the construction of cell no. 2 in the city’s sanitarylandfill. The project contractor IPM-Construction and DevelopmentCorporation (IPM-CDC) was conducting an on-going construction and expected tobe completed by end of November this year./PN He also underscored the importance ofstrengthening the collection methods for recyclable materials down to thebarangay level, saying that he already prepared several programs to be includedin his propose ordinance. Lopez, however, assured that proposedpolicies will not violate the existing law – Republic Act 9003 or otherwiseknown as “Ecological Solid Waste Management Act.” Lopez, who chairs the city council’s committee on environment, saidhe is now drafting an ordinance that will constitute specific policies on solidwaste management program. According to Lopez, this is in preparationfor the use of cell no. 2 at the sanitary landfill in Barangay Felisa, which isalmost 90 percent in completion. Lopez is determined to push his plannedordinance. Lopez said he doesn’t want to replicate the situation in cell no.1,which is considered now an open dumpsite.
The task force, he added, wascommitted to speed-up the power restoration and to assist Akelco in therehabilitation of lines in typhoon-battered areas but power fixes may take daysbefore electric services are restored. As of Dec. 2, power in around 27,000households was already restored while about 850 electric posts out of around17,000 were severely damaged based on the initial assessment. The grid operator continues to conductfoot patrol and aerial inspections in all areas to determine the damages ontransmission lines and other-related facilities in the region.(With a report from Akean Forum/PN) “We will restore power in Aklan asquickly as possible. The crews are working safely to give back your electricservices. While this restoration takes place, we appreciate the patience of thepublic affected by the power outage,” he said. The areas have experienced widespreadpower outage after the typhoon hit the province on Dec. 25, leaving around143,000 member-consumers without electricity. Akelco sought the help of its sisterelectric cooperatives in Panay Island and Mindanao to make immediate clearingoperations and restore power in around 380 villages of northern Antique andAklan. Meanwhile, electricity is back in someareas of Aklan, including the towns of Kalibo, Altavas, Batan, New Washington,Banga, Libacao, Numancia, Lezo, Malinao, Tangalan, Nabas, and Ibajay after itreceived power from the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines onDec. 28. Regalado said linemen from Bukidnon,Lanao del Norte, Misamis Occidental, and Misamis Oriental will also augment theTask Force Kapatid, aside from the personnel of Antique, Zamboanga del Norteand Iloilo. Akelco general manager Alexis Regaladocalled on member-consumers in hard-hit rural communities to bear with the poweroutage. Linemen from various electric cooperatives fix a pole damaged during the onslaught of typhoon “Ursula.” Recently, the Aklan Electric Cooperative called on power consumers in the province to be patient as they try to speed-up the power restoration efforts in the affected areas. AKELCO BORACAY – The Aklan ElectricCooperative (Akelco) urged power consumers, who were affected during theonslaught of typhoon “Ursula,” to be patient and understanding amid the poweroutage in the province. The towns of Madalag, Buruanga, Malay,and Antique have remained isolated from the rest of Akelco’s franchisearea. “Maramipa tayong mga electric poles na hindi pa natin nabilang sa mga remote barangays and sitios. Sofar, aabot na sa P73 million ang damage ni Ursula,” Regalado said. According to Akelco, the Task ForceKapatid, assigned to restore electricity in the province, has been working hardto repair downed poles and power lines in Aklan’s 17 towns and the municipalitiesof Pandan and Libertad in Antique and a portion of Capiz.
The report from the Center for Researchon Energy and Clean Air (CREA) and Greenpeace Southeast Asia is the first toassess the global cost of air pollution specifically from burning oil, gas andcoal. Middle-range estimates of the number ofpremature deaths stemming from fossil fuel pollution include 398,000 for theEuropean Union, 230,000 for the United States, 96,000 for Bangladesh, and44,000 for Indonesia. Each year the global economy takes a$350 billion hit from nitrogen dioxide (NO2) – a byproduct of fossil fuelcombustion in vehicles and power plants – and a further $380 billion hit fromozone, according to middle-ground estimates. Air pollution is a focal point of socialdiscontent in some parts of the world, leading some experts to speculate thatit could drive a more rapid drawdown of fossil fuel use. (AFP) PARIS – The global cost of airpollution caused by fossil fuels is $8 billion a day, or roughly 3.3 percent ofthe entire world’s economic output, an environmental research group said onWednesday. Globally, air pollution accounts for 29percent of all deaths and disease from lung cancer, 17 percent from acute lowerrespiratory infection, and a quarter from stroke and heart disease, accordingto the WHO. Living in the New Delhi area of India islike smoking 10 cigarettes a day, earlier research has shown. Particles thrown off by fossil fuelusage account for 4.5 million premature deaths each year around the globe,including 1.8 million in China and a million in India, the researchers found. Among countries taking the biggesteconomic hit each year are China ($900 billion), the United States ($610billion), India ($150 billion), Germany ($140 billion), Japan ($130 billion),Russia ($68 billion) and Britain ($66 billion). “We found that the China Mainland, theUnited States and India bear the highest costs from fossil fuel air pollutionworldwide, an estimated $900 billion, $600 billion and $150 billion per year,respectively,” the report said. The new figure is in line with WorldHealth Organization (WHO) estimates of 4.2 million deaths each year linked toground-level air pollution, mostly from heart disease, stroke, lung cancer andacute respiratory infections in children. The 44-page report breaks down theglobal burden of fossil fuel-driven air pollution – measured in economic costsand premature deaths – by type of pollutant and by country. The global cost for 2018 was $2.9trillion, the report estimated. Globally, air pollution accounts for 29 percent of all deaths and disease from lung cancer, 17 percent from acute lower respiratory infection, and a quarter from stroke and heart disease, according to the World Health Organization. NRDC
According to police investigation, themotorcycle that the victims were riding collided into a pick-up driven byJoenil Sarino, 41, of Barangay Central, Ajuy around 7:55 p.m. Sarino was detained in the lockup cellof the Ajuy Police Station. He faces charges for reckless imprudence resultingto homicide and two counts of physical injuries, police said./PN LOILO City – A man died and two otherswere injured when the motorcycle they were riding crashed against a pick-up inBarangay Tipacla, Ajuy, Iloilo yesterday. The 54-year-old Willy Dicos of BarangaTagubanjan, Ajuy succumbed to head and body injuries, a police report showed. His two companions Nicos Acuña, 19, andEloisa Mae Acuña, 21, were recuperating at the Sara District Hospital, itadded.
Meanwhile, 303IB commander, Army Colonel Inocencio Pasaporte, lauded the attentiveness of the local populace as mishandling explosives could have caused serious injuries and loss of life./PN BACOLOD City – A team of explosives and ordnance disposal experts from the military detonated five explosives yesterday in Barangay Busay, Bago City, Negros Occidental. Major John Joel Batusbatusan, Bago City police chief, then requested assistance from the 303IB’s Explosives and Ordnance Disposal Battalion to safely dispose of the items. Bago City police, several local officials, and local residents responded to the area and found more explosive devices. Philippine Army’s 303rd Infantry Brigade spokesperson, Major Franco Ver Lopez, said they received a resident that a farmer unearthed a fragmentation grenade in his rice field. Personnel from the 1st platoon and 2nd company of the disposal battalion facilitated the process. Among the recoveries included one fragmentation grenade, a rifle grenade, a projectile grenade, and two fuse assemblies.
“I would like to request your office to postpone the implementation of this directive until May 31, 2020. In the same way that passenger airlines moved the resumption of all domestic flights to June 1, 2020. I believe that it is but wise and prudent that all domestic sea travels should resume on the same date,” he said in the letter. “I hope that the national government will respect the right and authority of the local government to enact measures to protect the health and welfare of its constituents,” Lacson added. This development came after Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson sent a letter to Maritime Industry Authority Administrator Robert Empedrad and Philippine Coast Guard Commandant Joel Garcia, appealing to delay the resumption of sea travel. BACOLOD City – Sea trips from this capital city bound for Iloilo and vice versa slated to resume on Monday, May 18, will not push through. In an interview over radio station Bombo Radyo-Iloilo, Jose Venancio Vero, director of the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) Region 6, said they moved the resumption of sea trips to June 1. The province, which shifted to general community quarantine on May 1, has nine COVID-19 cases, three of whom have already recovered. Negros Occidental was placed under enhanced community quarantine from March 30 to April 30 to contain the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). (With PIA/PNA/PN) Yesterday, Philippine Coast Guard (PCG)-Negros Occidental commander Lieutenant Commander Jansen Benjamin announced that trips between the two cities will be allowed subject to health restrictions to avoid the spread of COVID-19.
The guest of honor and speaker is Dr. Dolores Rommela Tiples-Ruiz, a fellow of the Philippine College of Physicians and the Philippine Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases./PN The committee will be chaired by Leonardi himself. Mayor Evelio Leonardia said amid the health crisis, this celebration shall still be “very special,” adding that health protocols were in place. BACOLOD City – The city government here is celebrating its 82nd Charter Day today with a simple ceremony in the light of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. Leonardia also issued Executive Order No. 40 series of 2020 for the creation of the Support Committee for the 82nd Bacolod City Charter Day. In the past 80 years, he said, the occasion was commemorated every Oct. 19.. According to the Leonardia, this is now the second year the city celebrates the June 18 Charter Day. Meanwhile, Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran will serve as senior co-chairman, councilor Archie Baribar as co-chairman, and city administrator Em Ang and secretary to the mayor Atty. Edward Joseph Cuansing as executive directors. The Charter Day celebration is one of the major activities of the “Mga Adlaw Sang Paghanduraw,” the city’s annual commemoration of history, art and culture, from June 12 to 20 as provided in City Ordinance No. 616.The celebration will start with a mass at 1:30 p.m. at the New Government Center lobby.Leonardia will honor outstanding individuals who are this year’s Mayor’s Special Citation awardees.
Suspected persons can be detained for 14 days without a warrant of arrest with an allowable 10-day extension. A 60-day surveillance on suspected terrorists can also be conducted by the police or the military, with an allowable 30-day extension./PN “Sapat-sapat po ang remedyo, nandiyan na po iyan bagamat may bagong batas, lahat po iyang mga writs na ginawa po ng ating Korte Suprema at nasa ating Saligang Batas ay patuloy pa rin pong magagamit,” he added. MANILA – The Supreme Court has ordered respondents – in this case, the Malacanang Palace – to submit a comment on the petitions questioning the constitutionality of the newly-signed Anti-Terrorism Law. “Siguro, I will phrase it differently. Terrorists, beware of the anti-terror law. Iyong mga hindi naman po mga terorista, huwag po kayong mag-alala, sapat-sapat po ang mga safeguards sa batas mismo at sa ating umiiral na rules of court para pangalagaan po ang karapatan ng kalayaan at karapatang mabuhay,” Roque said. Meanwhile, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the newly-signed anti-terrorism law was created to curb the terrorists and it does not include those who were criticizing the government. Under the law, persons who shall threaten to commit terrorism, and those who will propose any terroristic acts or incite others to commit terrorism shall suffer imprisonment of 12 years. As of Tuesday afternoon, there were four petitions filed before the Supreme Court against the Anti-Terrorism Law. The High Court justices have decided to consolidate the said petitions. “Kapag sinabi po ng leader ng Abu Sayyaf, pugutan ng ulo ang mga Kristiyano, iyan po ay ehemplo ng inciting to terrorism,” he added. There should have “clear and present danger” before a person can be arrested and detained for inciting terrorism, according to Roque. Roque said not all remarks are actionable because jurisprudence on free speech should also be applied and if the threats were made by an individual with no involvement with any terrorist group, there would be no clear and present danger to deter. During its en banc session, the High Court justices tasked Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea to answer the temporary restraining order of the petitioners to stop the implementation of the measure. “Hindi naman po lahat ng salita ay actionable, kinakailangan ang nagsasalita ay may kapangyarihan na bigyan ng riyalidad iyong kaniyang sinasabi ‘no,” the Palace spokesperson said. Dean Mel Sta. Maria of the Far Eastern University on Monday, July 6, 2020 leads the filing of yet another petition against the controversial Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020 before the Supreme Court. Joined by six other FEU professors, Sta. Maria is asking the high court to issue a temporary restraining order preventing the implementation of several provisions of the controversial new law. TINA PANGANIBAN-PEREZ/GMA NEWS