QUEENS, New York: ONE of the world’s leading athletes, Veronica Campbell-Brown, says based on her own experience, she distrusts the way anti-doping measures are effected. At the National Championships in 2013, Campbell-Brown returned a positive test for diuretics (lasix) and was provisionally suspended. She denied knowingly taking banned substances and was later cleared (October 2, 2013) by the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) and issued a public warning. The International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF), the sport’s world governing body, appealed the decision, but the Court of Arbitration for sport (CAS) cleared Campbell-Brown of all doping charges, citing the JAAA’s testing procedures for not being complicit with international standards. As a consequence of that experience, she has no faith in the system and is urging fellow athletes to be honest and arm themselves with enough information to avoid making incorrect decisions pertaining to doping. Seventeen-time Olympic and World Championships medallist Campbell-Brown was in New York at the weekend where she was a guest of honour at the 21st Children of Jamaica Outreach yearly function and presented with its Humanitarian Award for her work as a philanthropist. While here to collect her award, she was asked about a couple of current drug-related happenings in her sport, one relating to the Russian Federation – and, by extension, its athletes – being banned from competition after a systematic doping programme was uncovered; and corruption allegations against former IAAF president, Senegal’s Lamine Diack. “I tend not to judge people,” she said, when asked if the IAAF’s first-time decision to ban an entire country’s athletes from competition was unfair. “You never know what’s going on, and based on my experiences, which I really don’t want to go into, I really do not trust the system, and I won’t ever trust the system and that’s the most I want to say,” Campbell-Brown stated firmly. “But I do believe that God has blessed a lot of people and there are a lot of talented people out there, and the great talent that we have makes for great competition, but that’s all I’m going to say about that. “The federation made their ruling and I don’t know all the information they have to make that ruling,” she added. Diack is alleged to have taken bribes totalling more than US$1 million as part of a cover-up for Russia’s doping issues. “I do not know the president personally, so there’s nothing I can say on that matter,” was the Jamaican sprinter’s offering on that topic. She said the bad news isn’t good for track and field. “I do not follow the negative part of my sport too much, because it is not good for us, it’s not good for the upliftment of the sport,” the 33-year-old pointed out. “Track and field needs more support, we need more sponsors, and with the negative publicity that we’re getting, it’s not helping us, so I tend to just stay focused on me and I just pray that people will be honest in what they’re doing .”
West London Sport has teamed up with Thomas Cook Sport, official travel partner of Chelsea FC, to offer Blues fans the chance to win a pair of tickets to their next Premier League home game against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday 25 February.André Villas-Boas will be hoping for all three points against the Trotters…and you could be at Stamford Bridge to watch all the action LIVE!We have five pairs of tickets to give away and to be in with a chance of winning, simply answer the following question:Which recent Chelsea signing previously played for Bolton?a. John Terryb. Gary Cahillc. Ashley ColeE-mail the correct answer to email@example.comWinners will be randomly selected. The competition closes at 5pm on Monday, 13 February.Thomas Cook Sport is the UK’s leading sports tour operator and official travel partner of Chelsea FC, offering match breaks to Chelsea fans for the 2011/2012 season from £109 per person. This season, choose the winning tactic and book your 2011/12 match break by visiting www.thomascooksport.com or call the sales team on 0844 800 9900.You can also follow us on Twitter @thomascooksport and find us on Facebook at facebook.com/ThomasCookSportUK to keep up-to-date with all the latest competitions, special offers and news.Terms & Conditions1. The prize consists of two tickets (Chelsea end) to the game against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday 25 February 2012, for five winners. Kick-off is at 15.00.2. The package does not include travel to or from the ground or any hospitality at the ground.3. Fans are reminded that tickets are in the Chelsea end and seats are amongst home supporters. Please be aware that any vocal or visual support for the opposition will result in ejection from the stadium without compensation.4. Entrants are reminded that tickets are issued subject to Chelsea FC Regulations and the Conditions of Entry relevant to those tickets.5. Competition open to all UK residents with the exception of employees of Thomas Cook Sport Ltd, Chelsea FC or Hatch Communications, their immediate families, agents or anyone else associated with the administration.6. No cash alternative will be offered.7. The competition closes on 13 February.8. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the promoter reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.9. The promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.10. All entrants must be willing to participate in publicity should they be a winner.11. We reserve the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the competition if, in our sole discretion, the competition is not capable of being conducted as specified in the competition rules.12. The promoter of this competition is either Thomas Cook Retail Limited, trading as Thomas Cook Sport or Airtrack (for UK departures), or Capitol Holdings Ltd, trading as Thomas Cook Sport (Ireland), for travel arrangements departing from the Republic of Ireland. Thomas Cook Retail Ltd registered office is The Thomas Cook Business Park, Coningsby Road, Peterborough PE3 8SB, and the company registration number is 00102630 England. Capitol Holdings Ltd registered office is 10B Beckett Way, Parkwest Business Park, Dublin 12, and company registration number is 163008. To discover more about Thomas Cook Sport, log on to www.thomascooksport.com
SANTA CLARA – Nick Bosa’s introductory press conference with the 49ers was more confessional than celebratory Friday, the result of his social-media history that included scrubbing controversial tweets such as one calling former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick “a clown.”Bosa, a defensive end drafted No. 2 overall out of Ohio State, apologized for that tweet about Kaepernick as well as other insensitive posts with racist and homophobic connotations.Will Bosa’s political views become an …
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Cold air came blasting back into the state late yesterday…an unwelcome intruder once again. This morning we are seeing temps down at 35 degrees or below over a large chunk of northern Ohio, and even were getting reports of some sloppy wet snowflakes in NE Ohio. Moisture this morning lingers over the eastern half of the state but is trying to push off to the east. We think it will be slow transition to dry weather in the east today, but we eventually get there. Clouds will be giving way to sun in the west this morning, and we should see that continue across the state through the day. Don’t be surprised to see some spits or sprinkles in the east this morning and midday (even a few flurries in NE Ohio), but it will not last all day. High pressure is working across southern Indiana today, but that does mean we will spend basically the entire day in strong north and northwest flow coming around the front and topside of the high. We will transition to south flow around the backside of the high tomorrow into midweek. So, today (this morning) will likely be the coolest of the week, but we should be able to build our temps some from here. Tomorrow turns out partly to mostly sunny and warmer thanks to that south flow. Temps should be normal to above normal over most of the state. Wednesday also looks mild, but sun will give way to clouds through the day. We won’t rule out a few sprinkles later Wednesday afternoon and evening, but really nothing of consequence until Thursday. On Thursday we have rain and thunderstorms spreading across the state with the potential for some strong to severe weather Thursday night. Right now, we expect rain totals Thursday of .25”-1.5” with 100% coverage. The higher rain totals will come via thunderstorms, but the line of potential action looks significant, so a large part of the state has the potential to get the heavier rains. Showers linger through Friday and Saturday, but with much lighter intensity and lower coverage. On Friday, lingering showers can bring a few hundredths to .15” to 60% of the state, while Saturdays action triggers a few hundredths to .25” over 70% of the state, particularly from I-70 northward. The map at right shows rain potential for the week, ending midnight Sunday night. With rain potential over 3 days…that means we see no drying there. The cold today limits good drying, so for the week, between now and Saturday, we may see only 1.5-2 days of good, solid drying potential. We turn out partly sunny on Sunday and see a mix of clouds and sun on Monday, with temps near normal. Rains return next Tuesday with showers and thunderstorms arriving from NW to SE. We end up with 75% coverage over the state for Tuesday with rains of .25”-1”. Then Wednesday we see rains concentrate more on the southern half of the state, with a few hundredths to .4”, mostly from I-70 south. Again, no significant drying there. The extended period starts off with potentially our longest dry stretch in some time. Currently, we see no significant rain threat from next Thursday (25th) through Sunday (28th). Temps look to be near normal, and this may be our first good drying period for the month. Evaporation rates should be near maximum of .25” of liquid per day. But, given the rains between now and then, we have to ask: “is it enough?” Rains are back for Monday the 29th and Tuesday the 30th, with at least .25”-.75” of liquid potential.
Related Posts markhachman Piracy WarsThe upsurge in piracy comes just as Google executives have defended the company’s anti-piracy efforts. At the AllThingsD conference at the end of May, Google executive Susan Wojcicki was asked to defend the company from charges made by superagent Ari Emanuel the night before, who had claimed Google does not do enough to combat piracy.“So I think he was misinformed. Very misinformed,” Wojcicki said of Emanuel. “First of all, we have done as much as we possibly can. We do not want to be building a business based on piracy. We want to work with the content owners, we want to be able to make sure that business is built on content owners who want to have that content distributed across search and YouTube.”The influx of pirated movies comes as Apple has reportedly pulled the YouTube app from iOS 6, although Google is also apparently writing a standalone YouTube app for Apple’s app store.But it isn’t like this piracy hasn’t cropped up on YouTube before: plenty of pirated movies – including recent blockbusters – were found there by this author almost a year ago as well.Dozens of “Hits”In all, a quick search by ReadWriteWeb found dozens of movies that have been uploaded to the service, from blockbusters like Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides, Pixar classics including Cars, Cars 2 and Finding Nemo.The latter three were uploaded from an account known as “FullMovieUpload1”. In some cases, such as the Pixar movies, the pirated movie was found near or next to a link to a paid, authenticated version of the film that Google offered through a partner. Many foreign films have also been uploaded, although copyright issues in other countries are subject to their own laws and restrictions.As in earlier years, full movies can either be found by searching through the main search box, or else via the list of recommended movies that accompany them. Helpfully, some movies like the explicit Ken Park have been age-restricted by the community.How Did We Get Here?YouTube enforces a 10-minute limit on uploaded videos, but users qucikly found they could simply break up longer clips into ten-minute chunks, with helpful pointers to the next clip in the series.In 2010, YouTube eliminated that the 10-minute limit for some trusted users, some of whom quickly used their new-found freedom to upload copyrighted clips.Traditionally, YouTube has had a “three strikes and you’re out” policy with regards to copyright; in 2011, the company forced offenders to attend “copyright school” to learn what they could and could not upload.Today, Google uses an automated system called “Content ID” to identify possibly copyrighted films and TV shows and take them down before they’re actually live on the site. At the AllThingsD conference, Google executive Sundar Pichai described the process this way:“It is automatic in many ways,” Pichai said. “There’s no human intervention. It’s a piece of software that runs and tries to identify it… it’s an extremely challenging problem, technical computer science problem.“It’s a quality issue, just like image recognition or voice recognition,” Pichai added. “The technology behind the Content ID system is fairly impressive, and it keeps getting better. And I think whats important is that it’s a tough area to scan through a video, and know for sure that it’s copyrighted, and who owns the copyright. And I think it’s something that we have invested a lot in, I think it’s over 50,000 hours of engineering we have invested in… $30 million on this project alone.”A Google spokesman also noted that YouTube users upload 72 hours of video every minute, making the process of identifying copyrighted content even more challenging. ReadWriteWeb provided the URL of the uploaded The Avengers movie to Google at 11:25 am Pacific Time, Tuesday, which Google presumably will remove.Wojcicki also addressed what Google representatives have previously claimed: first, that it’s unclear who owns the copyright to a given movie, and second, that Content ID requires the copyright holder to notify Google before a movie can be pulled down. Finally, some copyright holders choose to leave content on YouTube in order to monetize or sell ads against it.“At the end of the day, we need to hear from the content owner,” Wojcicki claimed.Clear BreakdownsThe problem, of course, is that it’s hard to believe that the uploaded versions of The Avengers or Blaze were done legitimately to “monetize” the movie. And while it’s possible that the poor quality of the movies fooled Content ID, a general search for “full movie” could be a clue that Google needs to inspect the files more closely.Interestingly, Google’s Content ID system has had some successes. Movies that were uploaded last year – Fast Five, Scream 4,, Black Hawk Down, and others – don’t seem to have made a reappearance.Meanwhile, things may be about to change. In April, a German court ruled that Google must detect future violations of copyrighted content after a rights holder alerts the company the first time.Will YouTube be able to meet that standard?You can check for yourself: Just type “full movie” into the YouTube search bar every so often. Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Like a Hollywood sequel, pirated movie hits are back on YouTube – and this time they’re more prevalent than ever.A year ago, users uploaded a number of pirated movies to Google’s YouTube video service and were eventually taken down. And now movies are back – to the point where if you don’t want to pay for the summer’s biggest blockbusters, you don’t have to:The Avengers is on YouTube, as is the latest Pixar movie, Brave.Yes, they’re so-called “cammed” films, which means that they were recorded illegally at a theater with a camcorder, and then uploaded. The quality is poor, with resolutions nowhere near a legitimate copy of the film. But they’re free, and with YouTube’s reach, totally ubiquitous – until they’re taken down. Which could be any minute, of course.In the last month or so, movie piracy has taken hold of YouTube like wildfire. While the number of current releases is small, finding older films isn’t that hard.Just Search for “Full Movie”The keywords? Just two: “full movie”.All a user needs to do then is check the running length of the film – if it’s 90 minutes or so, chances are that it’s the whole movie. An easier way is to simply filter out the shorter reviews and trailers by appending “, long” to the search or by ticking the appropriate option within the “Filter” drop-down menu.Even Voltage Pictures, which has sued thousands of anonymous downloaders for copyright infringement, has been victimized: The Hurt Locker has been uploaded in two parts, although in German. Voltage representatives declined to comment. A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Tags:#web#YouTube
Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes will attempt to complete a career Grand Slam when they take on four-time champions and top seeds Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan in the doubles final of the Australian Open on Saturday.Lee-Hesh will face Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan in the doubles final of the Oz Open.The Indian Express has a chance to go one better than their final showing in Melbourne in 1999. In fact, in 1999, Leander and Mahesh lost a heart-stopping five set match to Pat Rafter (Australia) and Jonas Bjorkman (Sweden).The Indian duo were beaten 3-6, 6-4,4-6,7-6 (10), 4-6. “We were unlucky to lose that match. It was one of the closest matches we played in a Grand Slam final,” said Leander. Returning to the semi-finals this year, Bhupathi and Paes were made to work hard to earn their place in the championship match, before prevailing against second seeds Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor 7- 6(5), 4-6, 6-3 in two hours and 20 minutes.On the other hand, the Bryans had a much easier time winning against the unseeded French duo of Eric Butorac and Jean-Julien Rojer 6-3, 6-2 in 54 minutes.The 32-year-old Bryans, who completed their career Grand Slam in 2006 at Wimbledon, are currently unbeaten in 17 straight matches at Melbourne Park and have an impressive win-loss ratio of 31- 1 since claiming their first of four titles in 2006. They endured their only loss in 2008, when they fell to Bhupathi and Knowles in the quarter-finals.The Bryans have a 9-8 record in Major finals, while Bhupathi and Paes – who are teaming up in Grand Slam for the first time since the 2002 Australian Open – share a 3-2 mark. They each opened their 2011 campaigns by reaching finals at ATP World Tour tournaments; Bhupathi-Paes won in Chennai, while the Bryans were runners-up in Sydney.The two finalist teams have split their previous two meetings, both in 2001, with Bhupathi and Paes winning in the Atlanta semi-finals and the Bryans at the same stage at the Queen’s Club.ROAD TO FINALFIRST ROUND: Paes and Bhupathi beat Ivo Karlovic and Dusan Vemic 5-7, 6-3, 6-0SECOND ROUND: Beat Juan Monaco and Feliciano Lopez 7-6 (2), 6-4THIRD ROUND: Beat Marcel Granollers and Tommy Robredo 6-4, 4-6, 6-4QUARTER-FINALS: Beat Michael Llodra and Nenad Zimonjic 6-4, 6-4SEMI-FINALS: Beat Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor 7-6(5), 4-6, 6-3 advertisement