Mexico’s Toluca are the defending champions of the Scotiabank CONCACAF Under-13 Champions League, having dismissed their Zone A El Salvador counterparts in the finals with a crushing 4-0 scoreline last year. One outstanding player from the Jamaican contingent at the last tournament was Kellijah Morgan, a community resident from Southern Cross Drive. In the one match they won, he broke away from his markers to receive a Rasheed Willis pass and slotted home after 14 minutes to hand his team a 1-0 lead. Morgan doubled the lead seven minutes later when captain Rojaughn ‘RoRo’ Joseph dissected the defence for him to waltz by the goalkeeper and score. Scotiabank signed on as the official bank of CONCACAF and the league’s first official partner in 2014 and title sponsors of the Gold Cup, the Champions League, and the Caribbean Nations Cup. DEFENDING CHAMPS Harbour View Football Club’s Under-13 team has been selected again to represent Jamaica at the second staging of the Scotiabank CONCACAF Under-13 Champions League. The east Kingston team will be one of 12 clubs playing in the championships scheduled to take place from July 23-30 in Mexico City. “Scotiabank has always been associated with developmental sports, and so we are excited to be exploring the possibilities in football through our CONCACAF affiliation,” said Yanique Forbes Patrick, Scotiabank’s vice-president of marketing. In the draw conducted to determine the groupings, Harbour View were selected to play in Group A against Mexican club Buhos de Hermosillo FC, Real EstelÌ from Nicaragua, and Jabloteh (Trinidad and Tobago). The draw sorted the 12 club teams, representing 10 CONCACAF nations, into three groups of four for round-robin play starting in July. “We are happy to be selected and we’re preparing to have a little more depth this year to see if we can go a little further than we did last year and advance from the zone,” said Clyde Jureidini, general manager of Harbour View FC. Group B consists of Menor Tijuana (Mexico), Comunicaciones FC (Guatemala), Liga Deportiva Alajuelense (Costa Rica), and Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Canada). Pungarabato Guerrero, the final Mexican club in the competition, heads Group C and will compete with Sporting KC (USA), Chorrillo FC (Panama), and CD Santa Ana (El Salvador). At the last championship, hosted in Mexico City in August 2015, Harbour View finished third in Zone B with three points behind Canadian zone winners Montreal Impact (nine points) and second-placed Aguilas UAS of Mexico (six points). The team won one game against DC United USA (5-2) and lost two matches against Montreal Impact (2-3) and Aguilas (Mexico) (2-1).
COURTS: Attorney general nominee had guards during trial and kept them for years. By Lara Jakes Jordan and Devlin Barrett THE ASSOCIATED PRESS WASHINGTON – Protecting former federal judge Michael Mukasey cost taxpayers an estimated $28 million over more than seven years – or $10,000 a day – even as Justice Department agencies argued about how much of a threat he faced. Mukasey, who is now nominated to become the nation’s 81st attorney general, was given U.S. Marshals Service bodyguards while presiding over a high-profile terror trial in the early 1990s, when he served as a U.S. District Court judge in Manhattan. He kept the protections, code-named “Eagle Detail,” until 2005 – nine years after the trial ended. The detail was withdrawn shortly after deputy marshals who were protecting Mukasey and U.S. District Judge Kevin T. Duffy filed a grievance accusing the two jurists and their wives of assigning them valetlike chores. The U.S. Marshals Service said most of the money paid the salaries and benefits for Mukasey’s bodyguards – and would have been spent whether they were assigned to protect the judge or someone else. The marshals protect about 200 judges and other court officers annually. Still, costs to protect at least one other judge in the same Manhattan courthouse fell far below the price to protect Mukasey, according to financial records obtained by The Associated Press through a Freedom of Information Act request. The U.S. Marshals Service records indicate the cost of Eagle Detail totaled $27.8million between 1998 until it ended in mid-2005. Budget officials with the Marshals Service did not dispute that total, which averaged $3.7 million a year. Mukasey initially was given the security detail in 1993, when he was assigned to preside over the trial of “blind sheik” Omar Abdel-Rahman, who was accused of plotting to blow up the United Nations and other New York City landmarks. Mukasey sentenced Rahman to life in prison in 1996. He also presided over the initial court hearings, in 2002, for alleged dirty bomber Jose Padilla. The financial records did not include costs before 1998 because the Marshals Service is not required to keep documents longer than seven years, an agency budget official said. Deputy marshals based in New York protected Mukasey for the last two years of his detail. Before that, the documents show, deputies from offices around the country were temporarily assigned to Manhattan – a “diversion” that Marshals Service spokesman David Turner said is not unusual. “We’re diverted to protect judges that we believe face a serious threat,” Turner said. Spokesmen for the Justice Department and the White House did not respond to requests for comment on the costs. On Friday, the White House released Mukasey’s financial disclosure report, showing he earned $1.993 million over 21 months at a law firm in New York where he was a partner after retiring from the bench in 2006. If the Senate confirms him as attorney general, Mukasey would earn $186,600 a year at the Justice Department. What threats Mukasey and his family faced when he was a judge have never been made fully clear. The 1993 indictment in the blind sheik case included allegations the conspirators targeted government officials, law enforcement officials and judicial officers for kidnap and assassination. It said the conspirators also planned to obstruct justice by conspiring to kidnap and take hostages to attempt to gain release of imprisoned colleagues.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Barcelona and Real Madrid have ruled out buying Fernando Torres from Chelsea, according to the Daily Mail.They say both clubs were sounded out about signing the Spaniard but were not interested.The Independent claim Torres will not be sold in January but may be offloaded at the end of the season if his form does not improve.And the Daily Star say Chelsea are are preparing a £30m offer for Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain.The Mail suggest Italian club Napoli are interested in QPR duo Alejandro Faurlin and Adel Taarabt.Picking up on recent comments by both Faurlin’s agent and Rangers’ former European scout the paper suggests a double raid is being planned.This page is updated throughout the day. Follow West London Sport on Twitter