Stacey Abrams draws credit and praise as Biden inches ahead in Georgia.

first_imgStacey Abrams, who earlier this year was on a short list of potential vice-presidential candidates, was ultimately not chosen by Joseph R. Biden Jr. But on Friday, as Mr. Biden took a narrow lead in Georgia, it was Ms. Abrams who was celebrated, a sign of her remarkable ascent as a power broker since her failed bid for governor of that state two years ago.Celebrities, activists and voters across Georgia credited Ms. Abrams with moving past her loss — she came within 55,000 votes of the governor’s mansion — and building a well-funded network of organizations that highlighted voter suppression in the state and inspired an estimated 800,000 residents to register to vote.- Advertisement – Still, Democrats in the state were jubilant.- Advertisement – “You have to build the infrastructure to organize and motivate your base, and you have to persuade people,” said Jason Carter, a Democrat who was the party’s candidate for governor in 2014. “Stacey built that infrastructure, and Donald Trump’s presidency energized that infrastructure, and it opened up voters to persuasion who were previously not open, particularly in the suburbs.”Mr. Biden pulled ahead of President Trump in Georgia, a state that has not elected a Democratic presidential candidate in nearly three decades, and maintained a slight lead throughout Friday. He was up about 4,100 votes Friday evening with more than 98 percent of the ballots counted. Because of the small margin, the secretary of state confirmed there would be a recount. Ms. Abrams declined to comment on Friday. But in a tweet, she wrote, “My heart is full.” And she cited the work of other activists. “Georgia, let’s shout out those who’ve been in the trenches and deserve the plaudits for change.”If Mr. Biden holds onto his slim lead in Georgia, her profile is likely to grow. – Advertisement –last_img read more

‘That can’t exist’ – Dijon boss Kombouare was prepared to stop match over racist chanting

first_imgDijon head coach Antoine Kombouare said the Ligue 1 clash with Amiens would have been called off if there had been a repeat of the racist chanting allegedly directed at visiting defender Prince-Desir Gouano.Friday’s 0-0 draw at Stade Gaston-Gerard was temporarily halted, after Gouano said he heard offensive comments from the home fans. Gouano approached the Dijon fans following a corner late in the game, with the Amiens captain describing the incident – which resulted in a four-minute stoppage – as “inadmissible” post-match.After the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP) condemned the alleged racist insults and revealed an arrest had been made, Kombouare reacted angrily to the situation.”The right answer has been found as this idiot has been arrested,” Kombouare said.”It’s good. We decided with the referee that if this would have happened once again, we would stop the game for good, no matter the consequences for us. But it’s very serious. That can’t exist, unfortunately it does… And of course, I am very sad for Prince Gouano, the victim.”Amiens boss Christophe Pelissier added: “We have been very surprised, all of us. Of course, from the bench we have not heard anything.La réaction de Prince Gouano après les insultes racistes dont il a été la cible : “Il faut que cela cesse” pic.twitter.com/7ZKswcX0Oz— Amiens SC (@AmiensSC) April 12, 2019″Prince told us what happened. These things are unacceptable in 2019 in a stadium. Fortunately, the security crew has done its job, that’s very good news.”We come in a stadium to have fun and play football, not to hear this kind of things or see these gestures. It’s not only because it was against our captain Prince Gouano, it would have been exactly the same if it was a Dijon player. It’s simply unacceptable.” Both clubs are in the thick of a relegation battle in France.  Amiens sit 16th following Friday’s draw, while Dijon sit seven points back in 18th place.  The three other clubs firmly locked in the battle for safety all now have a game in hand as well, with bottom side Guingamp just two points back of Dijon and nine back of Amiens.last_img read more

Brandon Figueroa vows to expand his profile with each fight en route to world title shot

first_imgFrom that point onward, Figueroa gained confidence and skills with each fight, developing into the promising, high-volume puncher he is today.A big win Saturday night would only add to that promise — not to mention, push his name up the list for a world title shot.”For right now, I don’t know, but hopefully it comes after this fight,” Figueroa said of getting that coveted shot. “So, for that being said, obviously every fight is a step toward the title. I can’t wait for the opportunity.” Brandon Figueroa’s name might not register among fight fans as quickly as a Gervonta Davis, Ryan Garcia, Devin Haney or Teofimo Lopez — to name a few — when it comes to rising boxers 25 and under.It’s not that he doesn’t have the sweet science skills. His 19-0 pro record spells that he certainly does. It’s more to do with the fact he’s comfortable being low-key. “I’m really more behind the scenes,” Figueroa told Sporting News. “I’d rather just stay in the dark and put in my work. When it’s time to shine, I shine. I guess everyone is just different. I guess I’m just a little bit more conserved with my stuff and my personal life.”Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearThat’s not to say he isn’t working to come out of his shell.“I definitely believe I need to take advantage of social media,” he said, currently counting nearly 6,400 followers on Instagram — a number that is bound to grow. “I’m slowly learning the ropes. I’ve always been a shy kid, but I know what I have to do and I have to market myself a little bit better and a little bit more. But with every fight that goes on, I’m trying to get rid of that (shyness).”What he hasn’t been sharing on social media, Figueroa more than makes up for in the ring, where his personality pops with each punch and performance. The 22-year-old will have a chance to bolster his profile, perhaps inching closer to a world title shot on Saturday, when he faces Javier Chacon (29-4-1, 9 KOs) on the nationally televised “PBC Fight Night” on Fox Sports 1.Plus, the fight will take place at the Bert Ogden Arena in Edinburg, Texas, in Figueroa’s Rio Grande Valley backyard. Figueroa has fought in the area before, but this marks the biggest stage — and as a headliner.“It’s a big opportunity to create a bigger fan base here in my hometown and definitely give a good fight at the same time and also a stepping stone toward a title fight,” Figueroa said. The last time Figueroa was in action, April 20 at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, Calif., he battered Yonfrez Parejo into quitting to become the WBA interim super bantamweight champion.That night, he shared the same “PBC on FOX” card with Andy Ruiz Jr., who made Alexander Dimitrenko quit on his stool. That performance — and Jarrell Miller’s subsequent failed drug tests — served as a springboard for Ruiz to shock Anthony Joshua and the world via a stunning seventh-round TKO on June 1. With the win, he became the first Mexican heavyweight champion of the world.So, who’s to say that the next nationally televised PBC card can’t be a launching pad for Figueroa, too?Already an interim champion, Figueroa could land a title shot against WBA/IBF champ Daniel Roman (27-2-1, 10 KOs) with a convincing win over Chacon, although he’d be happy to face WBC titleholder Rey Vargas or WBO champion Emanuel Navarrete as well.“I’ve been wanting to get that fight (against Roman) lined up, but at this point, I’m taking it a fight at a time,” Figueroa said, “and whatever Al Haymon and my team decides to do, that’s what I’m going to do next.”MORE: Joshua-Ruiz in Saudi Arabia can change boxing forever, says Eddie HearnOf course, handling Chacon is first in line. The 38-year-old veteran has nearly double the pro experience of Figueroa. He’ll try to leverage that savvy to avoid becoming Figueroa’s 15th knockout victim in 20 fights.Brandon Figueroa’s father and trainer, Omar Figueroa Sr., will be in his corner as usual, as will his older brother and former world lightweight champion Omar Figueroa Jr. It’s because of those two that Brandon even took up boxing.Figueroa says his father forced the sport on him as a kid. He’d scrap with his brother, eventually falling in love with the sweet science. He later came to the realization during high school that he was better off boxing than playing sports more typical of his age group.“It was my sophomore year … I remember I had my own little revelation,” Figueroa said. “I was in basketball, swimming and baseball and I knew I wasn’t going to be good in basketball because the tallest I could grow up to be was 5-9. Baseball — I didn’t really like baseball. I was just doing it to be cool.“That’s when I told myself, ‘You know what? I’m just wasting my time with these sports that I’m not going to amount anything into,’” he continues. “That’s when I dedicated all my time into boxing.”Figueora had already earned his boxing nickname prior to that revelation, however. He earned it while tagging along with his dad and brother during Omar Jr.’s amateur fights in Mexico: “The Heartbreaker.”“Every time I went to the arena, there were little girls, I guess, gushing over me like ‘Oh my gosh! The Heartbreaker is here!’ But in Spanish,” he says. “It’s rare to see a white-complexion kid with black hair and blue, blue eyes, so to them it was kind of like new to them, so they were starstruck when they saw me. Ever since then, my dad started calling me that from then on.”last_img read more

Mother denies poisoning 2 children

first_img…jury hears about ‘poison’ tabletsTwenty-five-year-old Awena Rutherford appeared before Justice Navindra Singh and a 12-member jury at the High Court on Monday to answer charges that she killed her two children by poison on March 27, 2014 at Branch Road, Mahaicony, East Coast Demerara (ECD).Represented by Attorney Adrian Thompson, the accused woman denied two counts of manslaughter as presented by State Prosecutor Tiffini Lyken, who in heropening address told the jury that one-year-oldAccused: Awena RutherfordJabari Cadogan and four-year-old Odasia Cadogan died from pesticide poisoning. The cause of death was uncovered during the post-mortem examination.The defendant’s sister, Monica Sealey, testified that her niece and nephew vomited after Rutherford gave them tablets to drink, claiming that they had a cold, but according to Sealey, the children did not have a cold. Sealey recalled that the four-year-old hesitated to drink the tablet.Sealey told the court that her sister and two children lived with her family, which included her husband, Curt Sealey and the two children she had at the time. The jury heard that on the fateful day, Rutherford, after taking a bath, called Jabari and Odasia to drink the tablets. The children’s aunt recalled that the one-year-old drank his first and was playing and her sister told her niece: ‘“Why is it you can’t drink something when I give you and your brother done drink his already?’” At one point, Sealey broke down when recounting what she witnessed. Under cross-examination, she could not say whether or not her niece was coughing before she was given the tablet. Reports in 2014 were that the father of the Cadogan children had threatened to take them away from Rutherford the day before their demise. The matter continues before Justice Singh. Some 10 witnesses are set to testify.last_img read more