Stacey Abrams draws credit and praise as Biden inches ahead in Georgia.

first_imgStacey Abrams, who earlier this year was on a short list of potential vice-presidential candidates, was ultimately not chosen by Joseph R. Biden Jr. But on Friday, as Mr. Biden took a narrow lead in Georgia, it was Ms. Abrams who was celebrated, a sign of her remarkable ascent as a power broker since her failed bid for governor of that state two years ago.Celebrities, activists and voters across Georgia credited Ms. Abrams with moving past her loss — she came within 55,000 votes of the governor’s mansion — and building a well-funded network of organizations that highlighted voter suppression in the state and inspired an estimated 800,000 residents to register to vote.- Advertisement – Still, Democrats in the state were jubilant.- Advertisement – “You have to build the infrastructure to organize and motivate your base, and you have to persuade people,” said Jason Carter, a Democrat who was the party’s candidate for governor in 2014. “Stacey built that infrastructure, and Donald Trump’s presidency energized that infrastructure, and it opened up voters to persuasion who were previously not open, particularly in the suburbs.”Mr. Biden pulled ahead of President Trump in Georgia, a state that has not elected a Democratic presidential candidate in nearly three decades, and maintained a slight lead throughout Friday. He was up about 4,100 votes Friday evening with more than 98 percent of the ballots counted. Because of the small margin, the secretary of state confirmed there would be a recount. Ms. Abrams declined to comment on Friday. But in a tweet, she wrote, “My heart is full.” And she cited the work of other activists. “Georgia, let’s shout out those who’ve been in the trenches and deserve the plaudits for change.”If Mr. Biden holds onto his slim lead in Georgia, her profile is likely to grow. – Advertisement –last_img read more

Sturridge nets winner again

first_img Press Association But when Daniel Agger leapt highest at the corner, Sturridge was afforded far too much room inside the six-yard area to turn the ball home. It was the kind of start Moyes must have dreaded, raising the decibel level of an already pretty raucous occasion. Robin van Persie was not far away with an overhead kick after Patrice Evra had knocked down a Ryan Giggs free-kick, but largely it was an opening period of unremitting frustration for the visitors. Van Persie was one of three United players cautioned and the half ended with an angry exchange of words between Steven Gerrard and Van Persie, whose focus appeared to have slipped somewhat after an earlier tangle with Agger. It was not that Liverpool were creating lots of opportunities, David de Gea saved a decent curling free-kick from Gerrard after Glen Johnson’s powerful burst had been halted unfairly and the excellent Philippe Coutinho curled a free-kick over the crossbar, but Liverpool’s main advantage came through their control of the game, with Lucas outstanding alongside his captain in that crucial central-midfield area. United did return with a bit more purpose at least. Michael Carrick started to find his passing range, which allowed Young, and then his replacement Nani to threaten from wide positions. Still, United’s increased attacking threat came at the exposure of their defence, and the risk of a killer second. Nemanja Vidic almost gifted it to Liverpool with an underhit back-pass that had De Gea rushing to clear as Johnson closed in. Nani forced Simon Mignolet into his best save of the match 15 minutes from time, just before Johnson became the latest member of Hodgson’s squad to depart, limping pretty badly after a crunching clash with Evra. Van Persie could not make the most of a late opportunity provided by Javier Hernandez, and although five additional minutes of injury time brought a few nerves, in the end it was the hosts who came closest to scoring, De Gea brilliantly turning over Raheem Sterling’s powerful drive. If that was not bad enough, Wayne Rooney faces a few weeks on the sidelines with the head injury sustained in training on Saturday, and with the transfer window closing at 11pm on Monday night, Moyes is still to make his first significant signing. Not that United’s travails will bother Liverpool, who dominated the opening half, then had enough defensive muscle to resist the visitors’ late rally. If United’s first half was bad, spare a thought for Roy Hodgson. The England manager now knows he will be without Rooney for the vital World Cup qualifiers with Moldova and Ukraine. In addition, he saw Phil Jones limp off after the defender landed awkwardly jumping for a routine header. To top it off, he was forced to watch from a seat normally afforded to visiting scouts as a result of what he was told was a “clerical error”. It seemed a pretty woeful oversight on a day when the presence of Victor Moses, Mamadou Sakho and Tiago Ilori in the directors’ box showed Liverpool’s intent for the last day of the transfer window. At least Hodgson had Sturridge’s form to console him on the drive down to St George’s Park. Liverpool’s match-winner against Stoke and Aston Villa on the Reds’ perfect opening to the season, Sturridge bagged another as the hosts made a lightning start. The former Chelsea man had already given warning of his threat when he seized on the loose ball after Jordan Henderson had harassed Ashley Young into a mistake. Rio Ferdinand turned away his shot on that occasion. Daniel Sturridge provided a fitting tribute to the memory of Bill Shankly with a fourth-minute winner in the 1-0 victory over Manchester United that maintained Liverpool’s 100 per cent start to the Barclays Premier League season. Monday would have been Shankly’s 100th birthday, and it will be celebrated with Liverpool back in their customary position as winners, with Sturridge now bagging the only goal in all three matches so far. In contrast, Manchester United manager David Moyes endured a depressing day. He failed to claim a hoped-for first win at Anfield following 12 unsuccessful visits with Everton. last_img read more

MDI boys endure long wait, beat Ellsworth behind 3-point shooting

first_imgELLSWORTH — After a six-day wait that included a weather postponement, the Mount Desert Island boys’ basketball team was ready to play. Unfortunately, the ceiling wasn’t.It was 6:45 p.m., and MDI’s road game against Ellsworth was scheduled to be starting in 15 minutes. Instead, the custodial staff at Ellsworth High School was busy putting a giant tarp over the southeast corner of Katsiaficas Gymnasium. The ceiling was leaking water everywhere, and the junior varsity game hadn’t even started yet.All Justin Norwood’s Trojans wanted to do was take the floor. After a rough stretch in which the former Class B North leaders had lost three out of four games, MDI was desperate to show it could bounce back in time for the playoffs.It took 90 minutes of JV ball and another 20 for Ellsworth’s Senior Night ceremony, but MDI finally got its chance and made the most of it.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textMDI shot 12 of 23 from 3-point range to beat Ellsworth 74-37 in the regular season’s final game Friday. The win gave the Trojans a season sweep of the Eagles.“The past two weeks or so, they’ve certainly challenged our team,” Norwood said. “We needed to get our step back for the playoffs, and with a crowd like this in a big rivalry game, this was the time to do it.”Riley Swanson had the hot hand for MDI (15-3) in the first quarter. The senior made three 3-pointers, and Russell Kropff, Derek Collin, Aaron Snurkowski and Graham Good also scored to give the Trojans an eight-point advantage. MDI’s Andrew Phelps and Gus Reeves scored six each for MDI in the second to help them to a 33-15 lead at the break.The second half was much of the same, though Ellsworth’s injuries caught up with it. The Eagles were already missing Trent Mahon after an ankle injury last Wednesday, and star senior Bryce Harmon, who suffered one Tuesday but was not about to miss his chance to start on Senior Night, had to sit out the second half with ice on his leg.On the court, the third and fourth quarters belonged to MDI’s Mac Shea, who scored each of his 11 points in the second half to put the game out of reach. Seven of Shea’s points came in a fourth-quarter run that saw MDI score 22 to send the green half of the gymnasium wild.Shea and Swanson both scored 11 points for MDI, and Phelps added nine. Zach Harris led Ellsworth 11 with points.Even though the Trojans had to wait five days, one additional day because of Thursday’s snowstorm and another hour and a half to get the bad taste of the previous two weeks out of their mouths, a shooting performance like this made the wait worth it.“It was a complete game from us all around, and we kept it up even as it was late in the fourth quarter,” Norwood said. “We had been ready to get back out on that court because we knew we were better than we’ve playing. The players out there, every single one of them delivered tonight.”The win gives MDI the No. 2 seed in the Class B North tournament. Depending on what happens in the preliminary round, MDI will face either Belfast or Houlton in the quarterfinals.“Both of those teams are teams who can beat us if we’re not on our game,” Norwood said. “They’re probably a bit better than their records show, and it’s the playoffs now. Everyone you face is going to give it everything they got.”Ellsworth faced Presque Isle (13-5) on the road Tuesday. Presque Isle won both games against the Eagles in the regular season. MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020 Latest Posts Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020center_img Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) Bio Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020last_img read more