Bob Weir Will Appear On Colbert & “Saturday Sessions”, Offers Free Stream From The Cap

first_imgLive television performances are crucial for artists to showcase new material to a large audience, as Bob Weir will be doing this month on two upcoming CBS shows. The Grateful Dead guitarist will perform on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert on Monday, October 17 and again on Saturday, October 22 on CBS This Morning “Saturday Sessions”, according to a tweet by host Anthony Mason. It’s especially intriguing to see jam-band icons step into the light of late night television, as Phish did earlier this week. While members of the Grateful Dead have been appearing on television for decades, it still feels like a rarity to see such influential people in our world cross over into the other. With Bob Weir staying busy with his solo project, while Dead & Company take a break, we’re just happy to see the singer/songwriter doing his thing.Weir has also announced an exciting free live stream from his show this Sunday, October 16th, at The Capitol Theatre. Currently on his “Campfire Tour” in support of his recently-released Blue Mountain, Weir is accompanied by guitarist Steve Kimock, The National‘s drummer Bryan Devendorf and bassist Scott Devendorf, along with multi-instrumentalists Jon Shaw and the album’s co-producer Josh Kaufman. You can find the free stream here.The band is playing tonight in Upper Darby, PA at The Tower Theatre and then heads to Brooklyn, NY for two nights performance at The Kings Theatre.Bob Weir Blue Mountain Campfire TourUpper Darby, PAThe Tower TheatreOctober 12, 2016Brooklyn, NYThe Kings TheatreOctober 14-15, 2016Port Chester, NYThe Capitol TheatreOctober 16, 2016Nashville, TNRyman AuditoriumOctober 19, 2016last_img read more

Student services present sexual assault reports

first_imgAt Wednesday night’s Student Senate meeting, Dr. Bill Stackman, associate vice president for Student Services and Deputy Title IX Coordinator, initiated a conversation about sexual assault occurrence and policy on campus.Stackman said there were 24 reported cases of sexual misconduct in the 2012-2013 school year. According to his PowerPoint presentation, 19 of those cases involved alcohol. Six complainants were freshmen and five were male.“At this point, I have seen 21 cases this year,” he said. “I had seen 19 by the end of the first semester.“What I’m going to take away from that is that I think we’re doing a better job at reporting. A lot of my cases come from staff and faculty. A lot of them come from second and third hand sources.”All faculty and staff, with the exception of professed religious staff in campus ministry, the University counseling center and University health services, are mandatory reporters, Stackman said. They are required to inform the Deputy Title IX Coordinator of information shared with them about a potential sexual assault. Once an incident is reported, the complainant has three options for pursuing an investigation, he said. The person may follow the University disciplinary process, the criminal process or pursue both simultaneously. Any complainant who chooses not to pursue any investigation or divulge the name of the accused may reopen the case at a later date as long as both students are still enrolled at the university.Stackman said he thinks there are several challenges facing the university regarding sexual assault. The issue of consent often comes up, Stackman said. “Hookup culture and alcohol make this difficult,” he said. “There’s not clear communication. “This doesn’t mean we don’t have perpetrators here, because we do. We have people who deliberately know what they are doing ahead of time. But often what I see in these situations is that communication breaks down.” Although the University received 21 incident reports, Stackman said the national average for reporting sexual assault is five percent. This means it is possible there are far more sexual assaults taking place. “My sense is that we may not have as much activity in compared in other schools—that’s my guess, if I was to guess, but what we have is horrible,” he said. “Just like your campaign, one is too many.”Student government initiatives are key to moving forward, Stackman said. ”Students taking action is probably the most powerful thing that can happen,” he said. “Peers talking to peers — that will begin to change the culture more than anything. My office will be there to support you.”Stackman came to Notre Dame in August 2012. As associate vice president for student services, Stackman supervises the Counseling Center, Health Services and the Office of Alcohol and Drug Education. As Deputy Title IX Coordinator, Stackman responds to all issues regarding sexual assault between students. At the meeting, Senate also approved Farley Hall junior Kathryn Peruski for the position of judicial council president 2014-2015.Senate also passed a resolution supporting the creation of a student advisory board for the Snite Museum of Art, which established one representative of student government’s Department of Academic Affairs on the advisory board.Tags: Senate, sexual assaultlast_img read more

U.S. Admiral Tidd Meets Peruvian Defense Minister Valakivi to Discuss Bilateral Issues

first_imgBy Dialogo May 12, 2016 This is the first time that Admiral Tidd has visited Peru. He comes as a participant in the Senior Leader Seminar that followed the “Fuerzas Comando 2016” military exercises, which are being conducted at the Marine Corps base in Ancón, with the goal of fostering regional and multinational cooperation, as well as the interoperability of Special Forces in the region. The two discussed bilateral relations in the defense sector, as well as ways to address shared threats to security in the region. Minister Valakivi welcomed the presence of Admiral Tidd in Peru, and stated that the occasion was ideal for reviewing the current status of new threats related to drug trafficking and terrorism, and their development in Peru, as well as the challenges they will face in bilateral matters in the future. Peruvian Defense Minister Jakke Valakivi received U.S. Admiral Kurt W. Tidd, commander of the U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM), at Peru’s Army Headquarters in Lima on May 9th. The meeting was also attended by the Peruvian Chief of the Armed Forces Joint Command, Admiral Jorge Moscoso, the chiefs of staff for the Army, Navy, and Air Force, the deputy minister of Defense for Policy, and the deputy minister of Defense for Resources.last_img read more

Binghamton Bulldogs bring kids back on the court

first_img“Being able to work out is important for the mental health of kids, I fully believe that,” said Evans. “So being able to have them in the gym and do that is very rewarding and a good feeling for us.” Bulldogs point guard and camp director Chris Cartwright said the kids seem even more focused this summer. “They were re-motivated, re-energized, ready to go,” said Cartwright. “There’s no joking around. Some of the kids you can tell with their faces, they’ve got their game face on.” “We had to rewrite our curriculum completely to make sure we had an entire camp full of drills that maintain the six foot social distancing,” said Evans. This summer, Evans says Bulldogs camp goes beyond basketball. Bulldogs Director of Operations Meribeth Derkach told 12 News,”we record temperatures for each kid when they come in, make sure they hand sanitize. We have hand sanitize breaks every 15 minutes.” When owner Jimmy Evans learned camps were allowed this summer, he adjusted the format to give kids an opportunity to safely play the game. center_img Bulldogs camp runs four weeks, and spots are still open. For more information, visit the Binghamton Bulldogs website. Cartwright says they’ve gotten creative to keep the kids engaged, which can be difficult without scrimmages. Cartwright said the groups do “air high-fives, elbows, fake fist pumps, jumping up in the air, doing a big team jump” to get excited. (WBNG) — The Binghamton Bulldogs summer camp began this week, giving kids the chance to practice their skills with some of the best players in the American Basketball Association. Unlike past summers, there are no scrimmages or one-on-one play. All drills are done individually, and kids use their own basketballs. last_img read more

Czechs open borders, allow events with up to 500 people

first_imgThe Czech government on Monday decided to allow Czechs to travel to most European countries without submitting a negative COVID-19 test upon return.”We can start travelling around Europe from June 15,” Health Minister Adam Vojtech tweeted as the EU member’s coronavirus toll reached 9,286 confirmed cases including 321 deaths.The government, which already began easing its anti-virus measures in April, uses three colors to distinguish between European countries depending on their safety level regarding the coronavirus. “Foreigners coming to the Czech Republic from orange and red countries will have to submit a test result,” he added.Vojtech said the government would also allow theatres and cinemas to abandon social distancing rules starting next week.”We are also raising the maximum number of people at mass events to 500″ as of the same day, June 8, he added.The government of neighboring Slovakia similarly announced Monday that maximum turnout at public gatherings would be up to 500 people starting June 10, and 1,000 as of July through the end of the year.It also announced that those living in the Czech Republic and Hungary will be allowed to enter Slovakia for 48 hours from Tuesday onwards, while gyms, pools, spas, casinos and indoor zoos will be able to reopen on June 10. The safest — green — countries include the Czech Republic’s neighbors such as Germany and Poland, as well as Switzerland, Finland and the Baltics.Orange countries with a higher level of risk include Belgium, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and others. The two red countries with the highest risk are Britain and Sweden.”Czechs can travel to green and orange countries without facing any restrictions when they return,” Vojtech said, adding that negative tests would be required from those coming back from Britain or Sweden.center_img Topics :last_img read more

‘Amazon Prime Day 2018’ is today

first_imgBatesville, In. — Amazon Prime Day 2018 begins at 3 p.m. Monday, July 16. The first step to take advantage of the special deals is to become an Amazon Prime member. The membership costs $12.99-per-month and can be canceled at any time.As a member, shoppers get special deals, notifications and expedited shipping.A report from Consumer Reports says shoppers can manage things of interest by using the “Watch a Deal Feature” or joining a “Waitlist.”last_img

Kingsbarns returns at Leopardstown

first_img “Kingsbarns is rated 117 and they’ve always thought a lot of him. “Our lad is good this time of year and handles soft ground. There’s also rain forecast which would be in his favour. He’ll give a good account of himself, we know what he is and so does everyone else. “We were delighted with him at the Curragh, it was some effort off 100. Kingsbarns is that far ahead (on ratings) he wouldn’t have to be near 100 per cent fit, though, you’d have thought.” The Ballydoyle handler sent out Declaration Of War in the Listed race 12 months ago who, unbelievable as it seems now, was not even sent off favourite. He had no trouble in beating Bold Thady Quill, who runs again this year, and went on to win the Queen Anne at Royal Ascot and the Juddmonte International at York before finishing third in the Breeders’ Cup Classic. Press Association Aidan O’Brien will be hoping Kingsbarns, his representative in the Heritage Stakes at Leopardstown on Wednesday, enjoys as much subsequent success as last season’s winner. Kingsbarns has a slightly different profile having won the Racing Post Trophy as a juvenile, but he was then not seen until September last season, when tailed off in the Irish Champion Stakes. There was plenty of promise on his next start, though, when third of 12 in the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes. The fact he remains in training suggests O’Brien feels Kingsbarns is capable of winning some big races this season. Jim Bolger’s Light Heavy is another who showed smart form in the past but has questions to answer. Winner of the Ballysax and Derrinstown Derby trials in 2012, he was third to Camelot in the Irish Derby that season. He ran with credit behind Snow Fairy in the Irish Champion Stakes and went to Dubai last winter, where he failed to cut much ice, and has not been seen since. Bold Thady Quill has already proved his well-being this term, having finished fourth in the Irish Lincoln under a big weight, but his trainer Ken Condon is fully aware of the task ahead of him. “He was second in this last year but we’ve another of Aidan’s to contend with now,” said Condon. last_img read more

Kone promises to prove his worth

first_imgEverton striker Arouna Kone admits he has to prove his worth next season after missing seven months of his maiden campaign through injury. “I realised the fans and coaching staff were waiting to see the best of Arouna Kone and around that time I felt I was coming into a bit of form so it was an extra disappointment,” the 30-year-old added. “As a team Everton have had a fantastic season which gives me a huge motivation to prepare for next season. “On a personal side, it has not gone as I’d hoped. I look back with a bit of pain and regret. “I have not played as many games as I would have liked due to this injury. It is something I never thought would have happened. “It is painful to sit in the stands and watch. “I would often say to myself that the style of play I was watching would suit me down to the ground. “You turn that around and it is a positive and hopefully we can make next season more successful than this one has been.” Press Association The Ivory Coast international sustained a knee injury in October which prevented him from playing again, meaning he managed just six appearances without a goal after his £6million move from Wigan last summer. Kone is to forego a lengthy summer holiday to ensure he is back to full fitness by the time pre-season comes around. “The most important thing is for me to be in the best possible shape I can be for the start of next season,” he told evertontv. “I have decided not to go on a big holiday, I am staying in Europe to work hard over the summer period, so I can hit the ground running when pre-season starts in July. “This season has been pretty much a non-starter for me so next season is when it starts. “It all about working hard so the fans can see the best of Arouna Kone. “It is going to mean an awful lot to me to wear that shirt next season because I’ve not made my mark in the club’s history. “The season coming for me is where I have to prove my worth and I am ready to take on that challenge.” Ironically Kone believes he was just starting to find his form in his fifth Premier League substitute appearance when he sustained the injury against Hull – against whom he came closest to scoring his first goal when he hit the post – on October 19. And unfortunately for him in his absence the team played the sort of football he thinks will benefit his style of play. last_img read more

Teen dies after being hit by a stray bullet in the parking lot of a restaurant

first_imgOfficials in North Miami are currently searching for answers after a 16-year-old girl was shot and killed during a fight in the parking lot of a restaurant.The victim, identified as Ana Alvarez-Hernandez, was found dead in the parking lot of 94th Aero Squadron Restaurant on Sunday around 2:45 a.m.According to police, a fight broke out between two groups of people when one of the involved retrieved a gun from a vehicle and began shooting.Alvarez-Hernandez was struck by a stray bullet as she and others ran for cover. She was then taken to an area hospital by a friend where she was pronounced dead.It is infuriating and tragic that a young woman with so much promise could lose her life in such a senseless way; victim of an indiscriminate bullet that should never have been fired. My deepest condolences to Ana’s family during this unbearable time. https://t.co/aIgMMKNyZh— Alberto M. Carvalho (@MiamiSup) July 9, 2019 Authorities reported that no one at the scene reported the shooting and that they only learned of it after hospital staff contacted them.If you have any information that could help investigators, call Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. Remember, you can always remain anonymous, and you may be eligible for a $3,000 reward.last_img read more

Biden Clarifies Comment about Lack of Diversity in the African American Community

first_imgDemocratic presidential candidate Joe Biden is apologizing for a comment suggesting the Latino community is more diverse than the African American community.Biden is attempting to ‘clarify’ the comment he made on NPR saying “In no way did I mean to suggest the African American community is a monolith—not by identity, not on issues, not at all.’ Here’s what Biden said.https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Joe-Biden-Racist.mp3President Trump was shocked by the comment.https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Trump-Reacts-To-Clip.mp3Earlier today, I made some comments about diversity in the African American and Latino communities that I want to clarify. In no way did I mean to suggest the African American community is a monolith—not by identity, not on issues, not at all.— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) August 7, 2020last_img read more