Survey Says Consumers Eating Less Meat

first_img Survey Says Consumers Eating Less Meat Previous articleShareholder Resolutions Rejected at Monsanto MeetingNext articleIndiana Agriculture Divided on Farm Bill Gary Truitt SHARE Facebook Twitter Source: NAFB News Service According to a survey released by the market research company Mintel – 90-percent of consumers consumed some kind of red meat at least once per month last year. But 39-percent indicated they ate less in 2013 than they did in 2012 – while 10-percent of beef and other red meat eaters said they consumed more of those meats in 2013. Mintel Global Food Analyst Patty Johnson is quoted as saying health trends motivating consumers to cut fat and cholesterol intake are the most dominant factors affecting the red meat market – a release from Mintel does not cite specific numbers relating to consumer health concerns. By Gary Truitt – Jan 28, 2014 Home Indiana Agriculture News Survey Says Consumers Eating Less Meat SHARE Facebook Twitter It does show – however – that 58-percent of consumers have noticed the price of red meat increasing in the past 12 months. Thirty-six percent said it is too expensive to buy as often as they’d like. Johnson says the industry has an opportunity to try to invigorate the market with new products, improved quality and improved functionality.last_img read more

Castle revamp hit by rubbish

first_imgWATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Email Previous articlePositive signs for Gortadroma gasification plantNext articleCouncil backs plans to facilitate new secondary school in County Limerick Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. TAGSfeaturedKing John’s Castlelimerick THE HUGE effort involved in the revamp of Limerick’s King John’s Castle is being ruined by people who use the river as a rubbish tip, members of Limerick city and county council’s municipal authority have been told.Independent councillor John Gilligan appealed to the council officials to get in contact with Waterways Ireland, the body responsible for the upkeep of the river.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “There is a huge mound of rubbish dumped between the castle wall and the river. All the work which has been put into the castle is being negated by this unsightly tip,” he said.He added that he was aware that Waterways Ireland was in charge of the area “and that is one of the biggest problems. They have more excuses than anyone I’ve ever known. There is no logical reason why we should have that mound of rubbish out there”.Cllr John Loftus (AAA) asked that the rubbish be removed.“While we are at it, we should remove every single piece of debris from the water,” he said.The members were told that the local authority will liaise with Waterways Ireland to have the rubbish cleaned up. NewsCastle revamp hit by rubbishBy Bernie English – February 21, 2015 636 Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Linkedin Advertisementcenter_img Facebook Print Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories WhatsApp Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” last_img read more

Panel previews and discusses ND alumnus’ pro-life film ‘Unplanned’

first_imgMembers of the Notre Dame community gathered Thursday evening at Browning Cinema in the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center for a panel discussion about the upcoming pro-life film “Unplanned” hosted by the de Nicola Center for Ethics and Culture.The panel, whose discussion was partly based on clips from the film shown to the audience, was moderated by O. Carter Snead, the director of the Center for Ethics and Culture. The panel’s four members included Abby Johnson, whose life is the subject of the film, Mary FioRito, a pro-life activist and fellow at the de Nicola Center for Ethics and Culture, Chuck Konzelman, a Notre Dame alumnus from the class of 1982 who co-wrote and co-directed the film, and Cary Solomon, Konzelman’s fellow co-writer and co-director.“Unplanned,” which comes out March 29, is based on Johnson’s memoir of the same name. The story follows Johnson’s journey from a clinic manager for Planned Parenthood to an outspoken advocate for the pro-life movement following a life-changing experience she had while assisting with an ultrasound abortion.In an interview prior to the event, Konzelman said he and Solomon became aware of Johnson’s story after being approached in a coffee shop by a stranger who recommended they read her memoir.“What was neat in terms of the story was that all [Johnson] ever wanted to do was help women. That’s all she ever wanted to do,” Konzelman said. “So, she was a very sympathetic character, and even in her story and the film, while watching her do things that particularly the pro-life audience will look at and say, ‘That action is an unsympathetic action, that action isn’t something we don’t agree with … yet we understand her motivation and we can forgive her based on what it was she was trying to accomplish.’”Konzelman and Solomon said they made a conscious decision to make the film as factual as possible. For them, this meant not only including an accurate portrayal of the abortion process, but also of those who work at Planned Parenthood clinics. Solomon said it would have been counter-productive and dishonest to paint Planned Parenthood employees in an evil light. Instead, they emphasized the humanity and honest intentions of all involved.These portrayals make the film an especially valuable contribution to the national conversation on abortion, Johnson said.“In a time where we live with all these, ‘His truth, and her truth, and my truth and your truth,’ and people are just like, ‘What is the dang truth? Not your version, but the truth, the absolute truth,’” Johnson said. “This film does a really beautiful job of showing that truth for really what I believe to be the first time in a pro-life film. This film has really pushed the boundaries.”Konzelman said he and Solomon felt called to share Johnson’s story of conversion with audiences on the big screen.“Regardless of how pro-choice you are, you’re probably never going to be as pro-choice as Abby was, and regardless of how pro-life you are, you’re probably not going to get as pro-life as Abby has become,” Konzelman said. “Something happened here. She had her Saul of Tarsus moment. This story was scripted by the Holy Spirit, Abby lived it and it was just our job to translate it.”The movie was produced with an eye towards performing the work of God, Solomon said.“The way we look at it is we labor in the fields of the Lord,” he said. “So, it wasn’t about art for us, this is not about our glory, it’s about His glory.”Because abortion has become “the third rail of American politics,” Konzelman said they have struggled to convince major outlets to advertise the film’s release.“We don’t talk about it for the most part. There’s this societal agreement not to talk about it,” he said. “This week we can’t advertise on Lifetime because they won’t take our ads, we can’t advertise on Hallmark, they won’t take our ad dollars … The mainstream press for the most part is still busy pretending this film doesn’t exist. We’re opening wide on a thousand screens next week, and yet there’s this real effort to just kind of squelch it and hope it will die a quiet death and go away.”Regardless of any difficulties with media attention, Johnson said the honesty of “Unplanned” will have a lasting influence on the very nature of the abortion debate in America.“Abortion continues to be perpetuated and escalate in the way it is in our society because abortion is done in secret,” Johnson said. “You can see the aftermath of it, you can see pictures like that all day on Facebook and on the internet, but to watch a person’s life be extinguished is a very powerful thing to witness. It is the most tragic thing you will ever witness. And finally we have something that is going to pull back the curtain so that it is no longer a secret to our society.”Tags: Abortion, Browning Cinema, DPAC, Film, Planned Parenthood, Pro-choice, Pro-lifelast_img read more

Top news of the week November 13-18

first_imgLNG World News Staff The FLNG Hilli Episeyo towed by the ALP Striker (Image courtesy of ALP)Tellurian in $15.2 billion deal with Bechtel to deliver US Driftwood LNG export projectUS LNG export project developer, Tellurian and engineering giant Bechtel have signed four deals totaling $15.2 billion for the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) of the proposed Driftwood LNG project near Lake Charles, Louisiana.Picture of the day: FLNG Hilli Episeyo at Cape of Good HopeThe FLNG Hilli Episeyo, the world’s first FLNG conversion, departed Singapore in October and set sail for its location offshore Kribi, Cameroon.Anadarko sets aside $150 mln for Mozambique LNG in 2018Woodlands-based Anadarko said that approximately $150 million is expected to be invested in the Mozambique LNG project in 2018.Cheniere posts losses, Sabine Pass passes 200 LNG cargoes markThe US LNG export player, Cheniere, reported a net loss of $289 million for the third quarter of 2017, compared to $101 million net loss in the corresponding period a year ago.Pakistan FSRU consortium dissolvesThe consortium between Höegh LNG, Qatar Petroleum, Total, Mitsubishi and ExxonMobil formed to advance an LNG import project in Pakistan has been dissolved.last_img read more

LA fire station No. 15 receives grand opening

first_imgUSC students, Los Angeles residents, city officials, USC administration and the Los Angeles Fire Department gathered Saturday morning to celebrate the grand opening of Fire Station No. 15. The ceremony, held at the new fire station, highlighted the partnership between LAFD and USC, which funded the construction of the new facility.“I’d like to thank USC, not only for paving the way for this beautiful new station, but for your hard work each week in putting this together,” LAFD Assistant Chief Ronnie Villanueva said. “We met every other week for months on this program, and without everyone’s help, this could not have happened.”The reception featured speeches by President C. L. Max Nikias, District 9 Councilmember Curren D. Price Jr., Chief Deputy City Engineer Deborah Weintraub and LAFD Fire Chief Ralph M. Terrazas, as well as a commemorative presentation by LAFD Battalion Chief Curt Klafta and a performance by the USC marching band. The event culminated in a ribbon cutting ceremony, after which guests were able to take a tour of the fire station.Nikias emphasized the importance of the work done by LAFD firefighters.“The strength of any city rises from the passions, hopes and dreams of the people who call it home,” Nikias said. “Those passions, hopes and dreams can only thrive with the peace of mind, with the feeling of safety and security and with the protection of life and property.”Fire Station No. 15, now located at the intersection of Hoover Street and 30th Street, was originally located on Jefferson Boulevard. Terrazas discussed the reason for the move and spoke about the new fire station’s potential.“By trading the property, and them building us this fire station, it allowed the Village to expand into one contiguous piece of property,” Terrazas said. “I think it was a great arrangement for both sides. The fire department gets a brand-new fire station, and we needed a bigger station to house all the resources — all the ambulances and fire trucks — that we could not fit in the old station.”In addition to increased space, Terrazas also cited modern sustainability upgrades, efficiency and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as ways that the new fire station has improved upon the old one.Though most of the old fire station will be demolished to make room for a pedestrian walkway, the front of the old building has been moved and will now be repurposed as a production studio for the School of Cinematic Arts.“The men and women of the Los Angeles Fire Department faithfully served the USC campus and the community for over 65 years,” Terrazas said. “I’m very happy to hear that at least part of old Fire Station 15 has been moved to a new location and will continue to serve in the community as part of the USC Robert Zemeckis Center for Digital Arts.”last_img read more