Bashir trial opens as Sudan sovereign council delayed

first_imgKhartoum: Sudan’s deposed military leader Omar al-Bashir, who ruled the country for 30 years, arrived in court Monday in Khartoum for the start of his trial on corruption charges. The trial comes as a sovereign council was being formed, following Saturday’s signing of a transitional constitution by protest leaders and the generals who took over after Bashir’s ouster was hailed at home and abroad as a major landmark. The 75-year-old, whose Islamist military regime ruled Sudan for 30 years, was forced from power on April 11, after months of nationwide protests. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USThe jailed Bashir first appeared before a prosecutor on June 16 and was informed he faced charges of “possessing foreign currency, corruption and receiving gifts illegally”. An AFP reporter outside the Judicial and Legal Science Institute where the trial is taking place Monday said Bashir arrived in a huge military convoy. In April, Sudan’s transitional army ruler General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said more than 113 million worth of cash in three currencies had been seized from Bashir’s residence. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsIn May, the prosecutor general also said Bashir had been charged over killings during the anti-regime protests which eventually led to his ouster. London-based rights watchdog has warned however that the corruption trial should not distract from the heavier indictments that have been filed against him by The Hague-based International Criminal Court (ICC). “While this trial is a positive step towards accountability for some of his alleged crimes, he remains wanted for heinous crimes committed against the Sudanese people,” Amnesty said. Bashir faces charges of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide at the ICC for his role in the war in Darfur, where a rebellion erupted in 2003. The United Nations says the conflict has left more than 300,000 people dead and 2.5 million displaced, with hundreds of thousands still living in camps more than a decade and a half later. Amnesty urged the country’s new transitional institutions to ratify the ICC’s Rome Statute, a move that would allow for his transfer to the international tribunal. The ICC has for years demanded that Bashir stand trial, and has renewed its call since his fall. The head of Bashir’s defence team, Ahmed Ibrahim al-Tahir, said in July that the ousted leader’s trial had no “political background”. “It is an absolute criminal case with a baseless accusation.” It was the sudden tripling of bread prices in December that sparked the mushrooming protests which led to the toppling of Bashir by the army in April. The trial comes as the composition of the joint civilian and military sovereign council that will steer the country of 40 million through a 39-month transition was due to be unveiled on Monday. The line-up had been expected to be announced on Sunday but it was delayed after one of the five nominees put forward by the opposition alliance representing protest leaders turned down the job. The ruling sovereign council will be composed of 11 members including six civilians and five from the military. It will be headed by a general for the first 21 months and by a civilian for the remaining 18 months. The council will oversee the formation of a transitional civilian administration including a cabinet and a legislative body. The transition’s key documents were signed on Saturday at a ceremony attended by a host of foreign dignitaries, signalling that Sudan could be on its way to shedding the pariah status the Darfur atrocities and Bashir’s international arrest warrant had conferred on it. Amidst the euphoria celebrating the promise of civilian rule, unease was palpable however within the protest camp that brought about one of the most crucial changes in Sudan’s modern history. One of its main causes is the omnipresence in the transition of General Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, a paramilitary commander and one of the signatories of the documents, whose forces are blamed for the deadly repression of the protests. And it remains unclear how the transitional institutions will tackle the daunting task of pacifying a country plagued by several conflicts, including in the regions of Darfur, Kordofan and Blue Nile.last_img read more

More relief supplies for North Andros to be distributed at mobile base

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppCoral Harbour Base, Bahamas, October 13, 2016 – Defence Force Patrol craft, Her Majesty’s Bahamian Ship, Madeira, under the command of Senior Lieutenant William Sturrup left Coral Harbour Base for Morgan’s Bluff on its third mission to provide much needed relief supplies to North Andros residents.Supplies included water, dry goods, canned items, perishables, meats, cooking grills, food warmers, cooking utensils, pots, coffee makers, tables, charcoal, propane tanks and cleaning supplies.  These items will be used to feed hundreds using the field kitchen provided by the Defence Force’s Mobile Base City (MBC).  The MBC is 17 custom designed container units to enable Defence Force members to sustain themselves while providing disaster relief assistance to affected communities.The MBC was transported to Morgan’s Bluff, North Andros by the Defence Force’s 185-foot landing craft, HMBS Lawrence Major, under the command of Lieutenant Commander Milton Munroe on Thursday.  The Royal Bahamas Defence Force remains committed to guarding our heritage. Related Items:last_img read more

Manchester United get a reality check

first_imgAccording to manager Ole Gunnar Solsjaer, today’s defeat against Paris Saint-Germain will be a reality check for them.Presnel Kimpembe and Kylian Mbappe scored to lift French Ligue 1 leaders Paris Saint-Germain to a 2-0 win over English Premier League side Manchester United.And for Red Devils manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, this was a reality check for the until-then unbeaten team.United managed to win nine of their first 10 matches, drawing once.And now they have one defeat too.“You can’t lay down and say it’s over,” Solskjaer told the BBC.“We are going to have to go down there, believe in ourselves, play a good game and improve from today obviously.”“Today was a kind of a reality check on the level of the top teams,” he commented.“We had quality players come on, but they gave us something and let’s hope they are not too serious,” he said about Jesse Lingard and Anthony Martial who were subbed out injured.Harry Maguire, Manchester UnitedLiverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“They are muscle injuries, we have to wait a couple of days.”“You can see that we’ve not played games at this level for a while, we will have to learn from this experience,” he continued.“It was one of those experiences that can go either way, it’s not going to be a season-defining one for us. It has to be one that we are going to learn from.”United will now play against Chelsea in the FA Cup Fifth Round on Monday while hosting first-place Liverpool on Sunday in English Premier League action.The second leg of their UEFA Champions League series against PSG will be on March 6th in Paris, France.Ole: “It’s not going to be a season-defining one for us. It has to be one that we’re going to learn from.” #MUFC #UCL pic.twitter.com/bp6FZojKLA— Manchester United (@ManUtd) February 12, 2019last_img read more

Investigation underway after food cart destroyed by fire at Horton Plaza

first_img Posted: November 20, 2017 Investigation underway after food cart destroyed by fire at Horton Plaza November 20, 2017 , center_img Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — A suspected arsonist was arrested Monday after a spate of suspicious fires erupted outside Westfield Horton Plaza mall, destroying a food kiosk, damaging a roadside trash receptacle and scorching a discarded suitcase.The first of the three blazes broke out shortly before 5 a.m. and gutted a dessert-crepe cart outside the main entrance to the shopping center.Less than an hour later, the contents of a refuse container in the 200 block of Broadway and a small piece of luggage lying next to a nearby bus stop also were found burning, said Sgt. Rick Pechin of the San Diego Metro Arson Strike Team.A surveillance camera captured images of a man setting fire to the trash can, and investigators used the footage to track down the alleged perpetrator, identified as 58-year-old Brian Keith Smith. The suspect was taken into custody in the area without incident about 6 a.m., Pechin said.Smith was booked into San Diego Central Jail on suspicion of one count of arson. He was being held on $50,000 bail pending arraignment, scheduled for Wednesday.The fires occurred two months after a hot dog cart was torched at the same downtown mall. Smith is under investigation in connection with that blaze as well as the three that took place Monday morning, the sergeant said.last_img read more

Second teen jailed in deadly hitandrun crash

first_img Posted: September 1, 2018 September 1, 2018 KUSI Newsroom Second teen jailed in deadly hit-and-run crash Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A 16-year-old boy turned himself in to authorities Friday in connection with a hit-and-run crash in Santee that killed one woman and seriously injured a second.The boy was accompanied by his attorney when he surrendered. His name was not released because of his age.The boy is the second suspect in custody in the case. Another 16-year- old boy was arrested Wednesday night and booked into juvenile hall on suspicion of felony hit-and-run.A third suspect is being sought.Deputies responded to the crash about 8 p.m. Wednesday in the 10200 block of Molino Road and found two women lying in the street. Witnesses said the suspect vehicle fled the scene, according to Sgt. Joe Passalacqua of the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department.Both victims were taken to a hospital, where one later died from her injuries and the other was treated and released, Passalacqua said.Investigators determined that the crash occurred following an argument involving three teenage boys and a resident of a home on Molina Road, near El Nopal.After the escalating dispute moved from inside the house to outside, drawing several neighbors out of their residences, the trio of teenagers got into a late-model Honda sedan and sped off. A short distance away, the car jumped a curb and struck the two women.Later Wednesday evening, the owner of the car involved in the crash called the sheriff’s department and told deputies where they could find the vehicle and one of the teens who had been in it when the pedestrians were struck.That 16-year-old, whose name was withheld because he is a minor, was taken into custody a short time later. last_img read more