Hughes, Randy

first_imgRandy (Randolph Joseph) Hughes, 63, of Sunman, IN passed into eternity peacefully at his home surrounded by family on Wednesday, May 6, 2020. He was born February 7, 1957 in Lawrenceburg, IN to Gerard and Alice (Wuestefeld) Hughes of New Alsace, IN.As a young boy Randy was active in scouting and CYO activities. At the age of 18 Randy was paralyzed in a swimming accident that changed his life forever. In his adult years Randy did not let his disability slow him down. He enjoyed fishing, hunting, bowling, horseshoes, golf, playing cards, and watching his favorite IU Hoosiers. Randy was always willing to learn new things and help others along the way including the pride and joy of his life, granddaughters Lyvia and Nataly.Randy was very active in the Sunman area. He was a charter member of the Sunman Jaycees and later went on to serve as their president and treasurer. Randy was involved in many other organizations at different capacities including Sunman Fish and Game Club as President, Sunman Fireman Festival Chairman, North Dearborn Legion SAL (452), and Batesville Eagles.Randy will be missed by his son Christopher Gerard, his daughter-in-law Rachael (Doll), and granddaughters Lyvia & Nataly; mother Alice Hughes of New Alsace; brothers Larry of New Alsace and Tom (Debbie) of Batesville; sisters Pam Hoover of Napoleon and Judy (Ted) Meyer of Batesville, and many nieces and nephews. He is preceded in death by his father Gerard (Jerry) Hughes, brother-in-law William Gary Hoover, and nephew Tyler Hughes.Visitation for Randy will be held at Andres-Wuestefeld Funeral Home on Saturday, May 9 from 2:00-4:30 with a funeral service beginning at 2:00. A mass and graveside service will be held at a later date. Memorial donations will go towards funeral expenses and any excess funds will be donated to the Ruth Lyons Children’s Fund. Andres-Wuestefeld Funeral Home is honored to care for Randy and his family. Please visit www.andres-wuestefeldfh.com to offer online condolences.To keep everyone safe & healthy, and in order to comply with COVID-19 guidelines, a maximum of 25 people will be allowed in the funeral home at one time. Funeral home staff will be assisting with this so that everyone has a chance to pay their respects in a safe and reverent manner. There will be an outdoor gathering space for those waiting to go inside. If you wish to bring a lawn chair and mingle with family and friends at a safe distance, you are welcome to do so.last_img read more

The Latest: X Games cancels stop in Minneapolis due to virus

first_imgThe Milwaukee Bucks arena will serve as a distribution site for 2½ million non-surgical face masks. The Bucks opened Fiserv Forum to speed up the delivery of masks to the community. The distribution is part of MaskUpMKE, a local initiative.Healthy individuals are invited to sign up for a volunteer shift and pick up a box of face-covering kits at the Fiserv Forum’s loading dock, starting Saturday. Kits contain instructions and materials to quickly make 700 face masks. Volunteers then can return the boxes to Fiserv Forum.Volunteers will answer questions to ensure they’re not exhibiting coronavirus symptoms.After a 72-hour quarantine period, the face coverings will be distributed under the guidance of the Medical College of Wisconsin. Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity also will assist in the distribution of the masks to those most at risk of contacting the coronavirus. ___Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo expects there to be a 2020 major league season.Baseball has been on hold since last month because of the coronavirus pandemic, right along with most sports and other aspects of everyday life.Rizzo said on a conference call Friday: “I’m optimistic, as is the commissioner, that we’ll have baseball in 2020. I’m upbeat about that. The most important thing is to do it in the right way and the safest manner we can. But I believe that we will have baseball.”The GM said the owners of the World Series champions have committed to giving Nationals employees full salary and benefits through the end of May. Associated Press Earlier, the X Games postponed a winter event stop in Chongli, China, scheduled for February and canceled an installment in Shanghai in May.The action-sports event in Minneapolis was to be the fourth and final go-around in the city. The deal was originally for 2017 and ’18, but two more years were added after a successful first year.X Games vice president Tim Reed praised Minneapolis for its hosting of the event.The X Games plans to bring regular and original programming through the World of X Games TV series and on digital and social channels. They will kick off an event called “Real Street” in May. It’s an all-video, all-street skateboarding competition shown on XGames.com.___ Rebel Converting, which manufactures hospital-grade disinfectant wipes, is making and donating the masks. ___The U.S. Junior Amateur and the U.S. Girls’ Junior have been canceled. That makes six USGA championships that have been canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic.The U.S. Junior Amateur was to be played July 20-25 at Hazeltine National outside Minneapolis. The U.S. Girls’ Junior was scheduled for July 13-18 in Colorado Springs, Colo.The USGA says it wouldn’t be able to hold qualifying for its two premier junior championships because of health guidelines. State associations were to hold 100 qualifying events in 41 states between May and July. The NCHSAA announced the move Friday. That followed the announcement from Gov. Roy Cooper that public schools in the state would remain closed for in-person instruction for the rest of the school year.The NCHSAA had previously suspended sports through at least May 18, including the men’s and women’s basketball state championship games originally set for March 14. The organization’s board of directors will discuss finalizing the basketball playoff results, summer policies and eligibility concerns for the fall next week.Commissioner Que Tucker said it was a statement the group “had hoped we would not have to make.” But it followed guidelines from Cooper’s office, the Department of Public Instruction and State Board of Education.___Triathlon’s world series grand final in Edmonton in August has been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. The organization said last month it would pay part-time and hourly employees through the end of the regular season after leagues announced the suspension of their seasons.“We could not be prouder of how our company and employees have come together to provide relief and support to the many in need,” chairman Stan Kroenke and vice-chairman Josh Kroenke said in a joint statement Friday.The Kroenkes thanked their full-time staff for “continuing to adapt” through this tumultuous time. They added that “while tough decisions lie ahead for all businesses worldwide, we will continue to do everything in our power to support the well-being of our entire staff.”___The North Carolina High School Athletic Association has canceled remaining winter championships and spring sports for the 2019-20 season amid the coronavirus pandemic. ___The president of the French soccer federation wants the season to restart with the two domestic cup finals followed by remaining league games.France is on lockdown until May 11 because of the coronavirus outbreak. The league is scheduled to restart on June 17 if the government allows it.French soccer federation president Noël Le Graët says he hopes “to resume the season and try to go to the end.”His new proposal is that the French Cup final be played either on June 13 or 20 with the League Cup final three days later and then the 10 league games. Talks are ongoing in leagues around the world as to when the season can restart. South Korea’s K-League will kick off on May 8 in empty stadiums. The Bundesliga in Germany is discussing playing again on May 9.Lloris says “there’s so much at stake financially for clubs … But above all of that there is health.”Lloris plays for Tottenham in the Premier League. The team has nine matches remaining this season.Lloris says in an interview with Le Parisien newspaper that “if we have to finish the league without fans then we will.”But the World Cup champion adds that “soccer remains totally secondary given the current situation.” The Latest: X Games cancels stop in Minneapolis due to virus “Given that juniors in most parts of the country are not physically attending school at this time, we did not feel comfortable asking them to compete in qualifying events,” said John Bodenhamer, the USGA’s senior managing director of championships.Meanwhile, qualifying for six other amateur events — including the U.S. Amateur and U.S. Women’s Amateur — have been delayed until May 18.___Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche ownership Kroenke Sports & Entertainment established a COVID-19 relief fund for its employees and donated $500,000. The organization hopes the fund will soon top $1 million.KSE formed a committee to review the requests to offer financial assistance.center_img The money is being awarded through the Olympic Solidarity program. The program aims to help all 206 national Olympic teams and the refugee team send athletes to the games.___FIFA says advance payments of $500,000 are being sent to member associations to cover running costs during the coronavirus pandemic.Each of the 211 member associations is entitled to $6 million from FIFA spread over the four-year World Cup cycle.FIFA says the next installment due in July will now be paid in the coming days along with other payments due from last year. April 24, 2020 Le Graët says “this proposal wasn’t challenged.”___The International Olympic Committee is allocating more than $25 million to cover extra athlete and team costs related to the one-year postponement of the Tokyo Games.The IOC says an extra $15 million will go to a program helping 1,600 athletes from 185 less well-funded countries prepare for the games in 2021.More than $10 million is available for national Olympic bodies to cover additional operational costs such as travel and accommodation for officials. The Eredivisie is the first top-tier European league to end its season prematurely because of the coronavirus crisis. Belgium could ratify an end to its season on Monday.Ajax was level on points with second-placed AZ Alkmaar but ahead on goal difference when the league was suspended last month. The Dutch soccer federation, known as the KNVB, says Ajax is considered to be on top of the final standings but won’t be awarded a 35th national title.The KNVB adds it will allocate Champions League and Europa League spots by the current standings.Among the clubs to lose out is Utrecht, which was sixth, three points behind fifth-placed Willem II, which occupies the last Europa League spot. However, Utrecht had played one game less and had superior goal difference. There will be no promotion or relegation. The German soccer federation says the final will no longer be played on May 23 in Berlin as planned but it’s still sticking to a June 30 deadline to finish the season.Federation president Fritz Keller says “it is extremely unfortunate that in all likelihood this special game will have to take place in a stadium without spectators.”There are also no dates for the postponed semifinals. They were originally scheduled to be played earlier this week with champion Bayern Munich hosting Eintracht Frankfurt and fourth-division club Saarbrücken welcoming Bayer Leverkusen.___France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris says resuming soccer leagues should not come at the expense of people’s health amid the coronavirus pandemic. FIFA is easing some criteria required before being paid but the money is still subject to audit checks.The FIFA president Gianni Infantino says the soccer body has a duty “to be there and support the ones that are facing acute needs.”FIFA previously said it will make substantial sums from its $2.7 billion reserves available in an emergency fund.___The German Cup soccer final has been postponed indefinitely and will likely take place without fans. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The decision was inevitable after Alberta’s chief medical officer, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, extended the provincial ban on all gatherings of more than 15 people through summer.Edmonton’s triathlon, scheduled for Aug. 17-23, was the grand final to a seven-race world series, of which the previous six have all been postponed.World Triathlon said it was trying to organize new dates for some of those races. ___The rest of the Dutch soccer league has been canceled and leading team Ajax won’t be declared the champion. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___A Summer X Games stop in Minneapolis scheduled for July has been canceled due to the coronavirus.last_img read more

Wike Receives Torch of Unity, Charges Rivers Athletes to Shine in…

first_imgNATIONAL SPORTS FESTIVALGovernor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State on Monday received the Torch of Unity with less than two weeks to the commencement of the 2020 National Sports Festival (NSF) in Benin City, Edo State.At a brief ceremony held at the magnificent Alfred Diette-Spiff Civic Centre in Port Harcourt, Governor Wike, represented by the Commissioner for Sports, Boma Iyaye received the torch from the South-South Zonal Coordinator, Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, Sylvester Essiet. Governor Wike, while welcoming the Ministry officials, emphasized once again the state’s leadership role as a stakeholder in the Sports Festival history.“This torch is one of the keys to the hosting of the National Sports Festival. As you are all aware, Rivers State is a major player and stakeholder in the affairs of the NSF. We are always counted among the best when it comes to the National Sports Festival. We also know that the National Sports Festival is like the Olympics of Nigeria.“It goes a long way to bring unity among our youths. It binds our youths and encourages our youths,” said Governor Wike.He assured the state’s athletes of all necessary support ahead of the Festival, insisting that the state will not be going to Edo to participate alone but to make a good showing.“We’re not just prepared to go and compete in Edo 2020, we will make sure we are counted among the best in the comity of States,” he stressed.Also present at the torch-receiving ceremony is the new Permanent Secretary in the state’s Ministry of Sports and President, Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN), Honour Sirawoo; officials, coaches, and athletes in the ministry.The torch has since continued its journey to Bayelsa State.After the ceremony, both the commissioner and permanent secretary proceeded to the Board Room of the Civic Centre for the inauguration of the state’s Steering Committee for the Sports Festival headed by Honour Sirawoo.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Ministry of Health to host multicommunity clean up exercise

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:#cleanupTCI, #cleanupTCIcommunities, #keepTCIclean, #multicommunitycleanupexercise, #TCIMinistryofHealthcleanupcampaign Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, March 30, 2017 – Providenciales – The Health Promotion and Advocacy Unit of the Ministry of Health, Agriculture and Human Services will be engaged in a multi-community clean up exercise on Saturday 8th April 2017.   The sites to be engaged will be Dock Yard, Five Cays, Blue Hills, Kew Town, Lower Bight and along Leeward Highway.   The effort is a collaborative exercise with partners inclusive of the Chamber of Commerce, Red Cross, Haitian Consulate, the faith based community and other entities residing in the identified communities.The clean-up forms part of continued efforts to ensure that gains made in the eradication of the Zika virus and other mosquito borne diseases continue to yield positive results.  The exercise also follows on the heels of other preventative efforts such as fogging, removal of derelict vehicles and waste appliances and the placing of traps along courses that capture larvae.The Ministry remains committed to ensuring that residents and visitors alike, continue to enjoy safe surroundings by minimizing and eventually eliminating major threats posed by vector borne and other illnesses.For more information contact the Health Promotion Unit on 3382772.#cleanupTCI#multicommunitycleanupexercise#cleanupTCIcommunities#keepTCIclean#TCIMinistryofHealthcleanupcampaignlast_img read more