Spring weight restrictions for commercial vehicles will begin on posted provincial roads starting March 11 in most of mainland Nova Scotia. At 12:01 a.m. on Monday, March 11, restrictions will be on in Annapolis, Digby, Halifax, Hants, Kings, Lunenburg, Queens, Shelburne, and Yarmouth counties. At 12:01 a.m. on Monday, March 18, restrictions will be on in Antigonish, Cape Breton, Colchester, Cumberland, Guysborough, Inverness, Pictou, Richmond, and Victoria counties. The weight restrictions on heavy trucks are necessary during the spring thaw to help protect roads that are weakened by mild and wet weather. The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal monitors air and road temperatures and works closely with the trucking industry and Environment Canada to determine the date that best protects the province’s road surfaces. A list of exempt roads will be published in a number of newspapers across the province. Updated information is posted on the department’s website at novascotia.ca/tran/trucking/springweight.asp .
Nicolas Michel had been named Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs and UN Legal Counsel. Mr. Michel, a legal adviser with the Swiss Foreign Ministry, replaces Hans Corell of Sweden, who retired earlier this year from the post after 10 years of service with the UN.Mr. Michel is currently Chairman of the Committee of Legal Advisers on Public International Law of the Council of Europe. From 1998 to 2003 was the Director of the International Law Directorate in the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs.Prior to joining the Foreign Ministry in 1998, he spent nearly 10 years as a Professor of International Law and European Law at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland.
LAVAL, Que. – Alimentation Couche-Tard Inc. (TSX:ATD.B) says it has signed an agreement to buy Upper Midwest U.S. convenience store player Holiday.The transaction will see Quebec-headquartered Couche-Tard acquire 374 stores operated by Holiday and 148 franchisees.Minnesota-based Holiday has stores in 10 states, including six new to Couche-Tard.Couche-Tard CEO Brian Hannasch says the deal will give the convenience-store operator a particularly strong position in the Greater Twin Cities metropolitan area, with a population of 3.5 million.The company says details of the purchase price for the transaction could not be disclosed at this time.Couche-Tard’s Canadian banners include Mac’s, but it’s switching to Circle K as its global brand everywhere but Quebec, where Couche-Tard will remain the company’s main banner. by The Canadian Press Posted Jul 10, 2017 4:48 pm MDT Last Updated Jul 10, 2017 at 5:20 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email Couche-Tard buying U.S. convenience store Holiday; deal includes over 500 locations