The Veolia Materials Recovery Facility in Brighton Credit:Eddie Mitchell “Officers sought advice from Explosive Ordnance Device (EOD) experts, and it was confirmed there was no ammunition in the weapon.”The item was found within a compressed bale of rubbish and was therefore not in its original form (damaged). It was seized for forensic analysis and the road was reopened shortly before 2pm.”At no point was there any danger to any persons or any property in the area.”It is not clear when the waste in which the rocket launcher was found was brought to the site, nor where it came from. Brighton and Hove City Council declined to comment on the issue, with a spokesman saying it was “nothing to do with them”, despite the local authority subcontracting the site to Veolia.A Veolia spokesman said: “At approximately 12.20pm on Friday 18th May a suspicious item was found at Hollingdean Materials Recovery Facility.“The police were called, attended site and safely removed the item. No one was injured during this incident and the site has now been reopened.” Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. A spokesman said: “At 12.26pm on Friday, police were called after a rocket launcher was discovered at the Veolia Materials Recovery Facility in Hollingdean Lane, Brighton.”The site was evacuated and police closed the road as a precaution. Police were forced to evacuate a recycling centre after a rocket launcher was found in amongst household waste.The weapon was discovered by a member of staff at the Veolia Materials Recovery Facility in Brighton at lunchtime on Friday and the site was closed down while officers carried out their checks. It is understood Sussex Police called the bomb disposal team, but after it was established the rocket launcher was not loaded, it was left to the local force. The centre is owned by Brighton and Hove City Council, who had earlier wrongly told a local news outlet that it was a “fake device”, and recycles waste from Brighton and Hove and East Sussex. A witness told The Telegraph it is not believed the weapon was a historic rocket launcher, but rather a more modern model, which has now been sent to be forensically examined. Sussex Police insisted the rocket launcher posed no threat to the public as it was so badly damaged it could not have been discharged.